Monochrome converted 5DII

Can I convert it to shoot only sepia?

...why would someone modify a camera that can shoot in color, to ONLY shoot in B&W when you can do that through the settings / through post processing...? What an idiot.

...why would someone modify a camera that can shoot in color, to ONLY shoot in B&W when you can do that through the settings / through post processing...? What an idiot.

did you actually read the description of the camera on ebay?

did you actually read the description of the camera on ebay?

Yeah I did. And I went to the "website" that looks like it's from netscape back in 1998. I'm not sure if I believe this random website. Graphs can be faked, he's showing pictures in photoshop, which we all know can be edited before uploading. I'd like to see someone veritable test this. I feel if this were the case, it might be more prevalent.

If you didn't understand what the point is, I think you should rethink the idiot remark.

No Bayer/AA filters, higher degree of sharpness. Leica did the same thing with the M-Monochrom. This 5DII costs 1/3rd of the price though and offers auto focus, and I'm assuming video as well.

No. I still think he's an idiot. I won't trust a site that looks like it was designed as a high school students website. As I mentioned after, I'd need a review to be done by a legitimate source instead of this guy posting pictures from photoshop which can easily be edited or changed to prove his point.

No. I still think he's an idiot. I won't trust a site that looks like it was designed as a high school students website. As I mentioned after, I'd need a review to be done by a legitimate source instead of this guy posting pictures from photoshop which can easily be edited or changed to prove his point.

Kinda off topic but do you use reddit?

While I agree that an amateurish website fails to impart confidence in a product aimed at imaging, and I agree that independent third party reviews are important, and the absence of such does not reinforce credibility... I disagree that they prove he's an idiot.

While he may well turn out to BE an idiot, I think the main difference comes down to whether one is of the type who "KNOWS things not in evidence" or whether one is of the type who "withholds judgment pending sufficient facts".

Sadly the world is far too full of the former, and severely lacking in the latter.

I don't know. His logic isn't correct about the # of pixels: "[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Remember, for every four pixels on a color sensor, you get 2 green, 1 red and 1 blue. So suppose the target as illuminated with a blue light? You would only get 1/4 of the pixels possibly seeing the blue light. Effectively, your 10 megapixel just turned into a 2.5 megapixel camera."[/FONT] That's not how it works. You still have 10 megapixels. He's using false logic to try and prove a point. If this WAS the case then if you were shooting a blue light - the red and blue would pick up 0 light and record nothing. Which isn't the case.

Hence why I say the guy is an idiot.

Bayer arrays actually cut your effective resolution to about 1/2, so you actually have about 5 effective megapixels in a 10 megapixel camera. That's in "typical usage", obviously if you're shooting a scene lit with narrowband red light, for instance, you're down to 2.5M. If you're shooting a monochromatic scene lit with pure white light, you can have all 10M, but you probably need to mess with the RAW converter to make it stop trying to recover color information.

Bayer arrays actually cut your effective resolution to about 1/2, so you actually have about 5 effective megapixels in a 10 megapixel camera. That's in "typical usage", obviously if you're shooting a scene lit with narrowband red light, for instance, you're down to 2.5M. If you're shooting a monochromatic scene lit with pure white light, you can have all 10M, but you probably need to mess with the RAW converter to make it stop trying to recover color information.

Ctein and Mike on this very topic: The Online Photographer: Mike and Ctein Discuss B&W-Only Sensor Implementation (Digital B&W Part III)

Ctein is not omniscient, but on these sorts of topics he may be taken as completely knowledgable.

I'll give the link a read through. I'm assuming most people who would buy a specific camera for B&W would know about RAW and would shoot in it too, might be a bad assumption.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back