Monolight Question

Light Artisan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife is willing to get me something photography related for Christmas, so I figured I'd go with some lighting (although a Nikon 70-200 VRII would be sweet).

Anyway, I saw this kit and wondered if it would be a good performer for portraits of our family and kids.

Either 1 or 2 of these:
FP320SB1 Flashpoint II 320 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second, One Monolight Kit with 10' Air Cushioned Light Stand and 24" x 36" Softbox

I have the YungNuo RF-602's with 3 receivers on order, and have a Nissin Di866 for lighting as well.

She's willing to kick in about $150 toward photo gear, so that's where I sit - I figured I could put up the extra if 2 kits would be worth it.

Last, would you recommend umbrellas or softboxes for general use? I have one umbrella/light stand now that I've used with Speedlights and always wanted to try a softbox.

I've been recommending those very same monolights, or the newer M-series AC/DCV model, to people who want to try their hand at studio flash. For the money, it's a pretty good deal compared to what else is available on the market. Both softboxes and umbrellas have their place. Neither one is "better". A decent reflecting umbrella like the 30 or 45 inch Photoflex convertible umbrella is a really good investment for somebody who wants a good, solid, quality umbrella without breaking the bank.

Thanks Derrel, would I be better off with the 320M - I didn't realize there was 2 different ones but now I see some do have M after the name. I guess it just depends if I'll kick myself later for not getting one compatible with a battery pack for portable use when there isn't a power supply handy.

Much appreciated.

Thanks Derrel, would I be better off with the 320M - I didn't realize there was 2 different ones but now I see some do have M after the name. I guess it just depends if I'll kick myself later for not getting one compatible with a battery pack for portable use when there isn't a power supply handy.

Much appreciated.

The newer M-series offer the option of a 15 ounce battery pack option...so...if you someday want to power them off of a very small, lightweight battery pack, you want to go with the M-series models. They have the 320-M + battery pack priced pretty well, with $25 off of the battery price when purchased at the same time as a monolight.

It makes a bit more sense I think to buy the newer, M-series 320 model than the older AC-only model...for the same $139 price, here is what I would buy--the 320 M, with the 10-foot stand, and an umbrella....http://www.adorama.com/FP320MK.html

The Specifications are there for those who bother to look...

The Flashpoint M series is supplied with an AC cord for out-of-the-box use. Using our DC battery power pack (FP2PP, sold separately) converts the 320M into a portable unit that can be used outdoors.
Features
Can be Fired with the Sync Cord Attached to the Camera PC Terminal, with a PC Adapter on the Hot Shoe (FAHSPCA) or with the Built in Slave Unit.
Rugged Housing
Flash Ready Light
Stepless Power Output Control from Full Power down to 1/32 Power
User Replaceable Flash Tube and Modeling Lamp
Separate Modeling Lamp Controls
Built-in Slave. Can be Turned Off
Low Sync Voltage, only 6 volts! Safe for all cameras, film & digital.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. Same price, they just don't offer it in a softbox combo.

I guess I can always get one or two later if I feel I need it. I usually see photographers using umbrellas for the kind if shots I'm looking to do anyway.

Thanks again!

Got my 320M kit today, really enjoying it so far with the little I've been able to test it. Once I get my RF-602 trigger w/3 receivers things should get interesting.

The reviews I've read on the portable power pack aren't very impressive however.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back