Monolight suggestions?

adartsesirhc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I already own a 450EX II and a 580EX II, with stands and umbrellas, but they're just not powerful enough to shoot outdoors with any kind of modifier on them. I'd also like the flexibility of adding more (different) modifiers.

I'm working on a budget of about $700, for now. Yeah, I know it's very little. I'll probably have an equal amount around the end of July. Ideally, I'd like to get at least two good lights, stands, a big octa, and a beauty dish. So for now, maybe one light, stand, and modifier.

For a hobbyist like me who's used to working with flashes, will there really be a big difference between AlienBees and Einsteins? Would it be worth it to shell out $500 for one light, as opposed to, say, $250 for a B800, or $350 for a B1600?

On the other hand, how is the quality of these lights? For the price of one Einstein, I can get two lights, stands and umbrellas, which aren't too much less powerful at 400 Ws each, compared to the Einstein's 640 Ws. I don't have first-hand experience here - I'm hoping these lights aren't too bad. And their octas and beauty dishes are at roughly the same price as the PCB ones.

Thanks!

If you are just starting out with monolights.... check out the Flashpoints at Adorama. They are excellent for the money. The Calumets are good lights too, very similar in quality.

I like the Flashpoints, they seem to have really inexpensive modifiers too. What kind of power should I be looking at, say, for shooting in daylight with an octa or a beauty dish? I'm considering getting a 600 Ws Flashpoint now (with the modifiers), then depending on how I feel about it, buying one of the 300 Ws, 600 Ws, or 1200 Ws models later. Is that a good idea, or should I start off with 300 Ws?

If I'm using strobes as powerful as those, would I still be able to use my speedlights for things like fill and backgrounds, or would they just be too weak?

I like the Flashpoints, they seem to have really inexpensive modifiers too. What kind of power should I be looking at, say, for shooting in daylight with an octa or a beauty dish? I'm considering getting a 600 Ws Flashpoint now (with the modifiers), then depending on how I feel about it, buying one of the 300 Ws, 600 Ws, or 1200 Ws models later. Is that a good idea, or should I start off with 300 Ws?

If I'm using strobes as powerful as those, would I still be able to use my speedlights for things like fill and backgrounds, or would they just be too weak?

I use my speedlights with my monolight all the time

It depends how you're shooting. If you're trying to overpower the sun with ND filters and a high flash power or a smaller aperture and high flash power, then the speedlights won't be as effective. If you're balancing ambient or just slight underexposing it and use bare speedlights, then they should work. I'm doing a test shoot this weekend. I'll post up results. I'll be using an 800w/s dynalite pack with a deep octa (my beauty dish is not working as of last night) and two Canon 430EX II's.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back