Monooo-light for Wedding reception

MH_91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,

Hope you all doing well!

So i have a question over here. I just did a wedding few weeks ago, and i was doing off camera flash lighting i only used two flashes 1\1 Full power basically for the reception party. They were good. But i feel i can do better with Monolights plus the flashes.

So i was wondering what monolight's would you guys recommend for me? Also, i was wondering if there is any triggers that will let you adjust the power from the camera itself. So i wont have to change it all the time from the monolight itself.

Looking forward for the replies!

cheers!
:mrgreen:

Hey Mohain,

Call up Lloyd and ask about his set up. He has Elinchrom lights with Skyport triggers. I believe he can adjust the output of the strobe via the trigger at the camera.

I think you could do the same with an Alienbee light, but you'd have to get the upgraded 'Plus' receivers and the Cyber Commander unit for the camera. I think their Einstein unit might not require the plus receiver, but I'm not sure. Either way, it would cost a lot more than just a basic light and a basic trigger set.

And yes, while it would be nice to have the ability to adjust the power of the remote strobe....I certainly don't think it's necessary. When I shoot in a location like The Oasis, I put put a strobe up on the balcony and fire it with a simple trigger (not able to control the power). To control my exposure, I use the aperture and the ISO. I usually have an on-camera light as well. So I can usually get the lighting I want by setting the power of my on-camera flash, the aperture and the ISO. Sometimes the remote flash is the main light while the on-camera is just for fill. Much of the time, the remote light is for hair/rim lighting and the on-camera flash becomes main/fill.

Budget for this? I used to take strobes for weddings and place them strategically around the room depending on the size, etc HOWEVER... they are a hazard too. If you are plugging them in there is a cord to think about and it's invariably a problem. If you are using a battery pack the cord problem is gone but you still have the light itself.
Placing a light stand anywhere with drinking wedding guests is a recipe for a crash, broken strobe, stand and even injury... Which brought me back to speedlights.
You can purchase cheap speedlights and place them ANYWHERE. Gotta love Gaffer tape and those little shoe stands. You don't have to have a cord, or a light stand.

I have collected a bunch of older film speedlights of all kinds of different manufacturers CHEAP AS HELL on ebay and at sales. I can light up a giant ballroom with strategically placed speedlights if I want to. I don't use many of them often anymore. As you refine your techniques and skills you will find you don't want or need as much as you do right now most of the time. I still carry it all and occasionally use it if I want something in particular.

If you want a couple of mono light setups give a budget and it's definitely doable. I recommend keeping the budget low-when Uncle Melvin gets drunk and busts an expensive head you will be a little upset... And make sure you insure them! You are almost guaranteed to go through a few in your adventures!

Hey Mohain,

Call up Lloyd and ask about his set up. He has Elinchrom lights with Skyport triggers. I believe he can adjust the output of the strobe via the trigger at the camera.

I think you could do the same with an Alienbee light, but you'd have to get the upgraded 'Plus' receivers and the Cyber Commander unit for the camera. I think their Einstein unit might not require the plus receiver, but I'm not sure. Either way, it would cost a lot more than just a basic light and a basic trigger set.

And yes, while it would be nice to have the ability to adjust the power of the remote strobe....I certainly don't think it's necessary. When I shoot in a location like The Oasis, I put put a strobe up on the balcony and fire it with a simple trigger (not able to control the power). To control my exposure, I use the aperture and the ISO. I usually have an on-camera light as well. So I can usually get the lighting I want by setting the power of my on-camera flash, the aperture and the ISO. Sometimes the remote flash is the main light while the on-camera is just for fill. Much of the time, the remote light is for hair/rim lighting and the on-camera flash becomes main/fill.

Hey Mike!

Hope you doing well!

Lloyd is my idol in my photography career, so whatever you see from me, is based on his knowledge and sharing! so he is a great help for me.
Remember the wedding we did in December? i want my lighting to be something like that. A Monolight near our table bouncing in the surface and two flashes in the second floor.

I dont think he used his skyport triggers that day? did he? i think he used the Radiopop and he was "tuning" the power based on that? correct me if i was wrong.

I know you can Adjust the F-stop, but i dont want to lose the DOF in my pictures. That's why a changing it remotely would make things easier.

my location lighting right now is prefect, i dont think i will upgrade anytime soon. My main concern is the reception which i am pretty sure i have to save a another fortune to buy the stuff i need lol!

Budget for this? I used to take strobes for weddings and place them strategically around the room depending on the size, etc HOWEVER... they are a hazard too. If you are plugging them in there is a cord to think about and it's invariably a problem. If you are using a battery pack the cord problem is gone but you still have the light itself.
Placing a light stand anywhere with drinking wedding guests is a recipe for a crash, broken strobe, stand and even injury... Which brought me back to speedlights.
You can purchase cheap speedlights and place them ANYWHERE. Gotta love Gaffer tape and those little shoe stands. You don't have to have a cord, or a light stand.

I have collected a bunch of older film speedlights of all kinds of different manufacturers CHEAP AS HELL on ebay and at sales. I can light up a giant ballroom with strategically placed speedlights if I want to. I don't use many of them often anymore. As you refine your techniques and skills you will find you don't want or need as much as you do right now most of the time. I still carry it all and occasionally use it if I want something in particular.
Yes, many wedding photographers do go with this route. My problem with it, is that unless you have top of the line flashes, the recycle time is crap and you end up missing shots because you have wait or the flash(s) didn't fire. Plus, you'd have to take them down and change out the batteries if you use them enough.

When I put up a strobe, I tape down the cord and tape the stand to the floor etc. Sure, it's still a possible disaster, but I've never had a problem (knock on wood). My favorite venues are those that have a balcony or other area that is off-limits to the guests, that way I don't have to worry as much about it.

Lloyd is my idol in my photography career, so whatever you see from me, is based on his knowledge and sharing! so he is a great help for me.
Remember the wedding we did in December? i want my lighting to be something like that. A Monolight near our table bouncing in the surface and two flashes in the second floor.

I dont think he used his skyport triggers that day? did he? i think he used the Radiopop and he was "tuning" the power based on that? correct me if i was wrong.
I set up all the lighting that day. The two flashes above the stage were 580EX with Pocket Wizard triggers. Standard Plus II transceivers, so no power control. I think I had them both at 1/4 or 1/8 power.
The light in the centre of the balcony (in the umbrella) was an Elinchrom (don't remember the model) and Lloyd had a skyport trigger for it. The light by the table was another Elinchrom probably triggered by the Sky port.

I did take down the 580EX flashes after the 'fashion show', so he might have put the pocket wizards on the Elinchrom strobes, but they would have been manual control.

I know you can Adjust the F-stop, but i dont want to lose the DOF in my pictures. That's why a changing it remotely would make things easier.
You can also adjust the ISO to change the exposure from a manual flash/strobe.

Hey guys,

I just did a wedding few weeks ago, and i was doing off camera flash lighting i only used two flashes 1\1 Full power basically for the reception party. They were good. But i feel i can do better with Monolights plus the flashes.
:mrgreen:

FULL power???:gah:

Were you using your 18-200 mm Sigma?

Generally, a good speedlight at a wedding is set at about an 1/8 or maybe a 1/4...

Most reactions

Back