Monopds

Graham18ce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey people.
I'm still trying to figure out what lens to get, flipping between the Nikon 80-200 with a 2x (does the 2x keep the auto focus and metering?) and the 120-400 Sigma.
Both of these are getting beasty and i normal shoot freehand, although i think the weight will get to me after a weekend of shooting.
Any recomendations on decent but not bank killing mono's?

What are the things to look for, avoid, must haves, etc...

just a point but my experiences of a 70-200mm lens (a canon L so similar I think in quality to the 80-200mm you are looking at) are that a 2*Tc is not the easiest of TCs to use. My 1.4 is almost always on the 70-200mm and that works well, a focal length boost with little image degradation and only one stop of light lost.
Nikon make a 1.7TC and from what I have heard its a very good TC so that might be a better option if your after a longer lens.
If you are going to use a 2*TC to get the best results your subject has to really fill the frame as much as possible - if not its going to lack quality at the larger image sizes and prints.
I have some examples of my 70-200mm + 2*TC
little birds photos test - a set on Flickr
*(note one can get improved performance with this combo if you use a pro end body - but they cost a lot!)*

Also if the 80-200mm is not an f2.8 (or wider) lens than auto focus is going to be tricky; whilst nikon cameras don't stop AF functinality due to small apertures on a lens (when wide open) after f5.6 the accuracy and speed starts to nosedive quickly (unless your using a pro end camera).

Good points, that was why i was sort of leaning towards the 120-400. I really need to be in the 400 range, i think the 1.7 might be close enough to work, and i have heard good things about it...
the 80-200 is a 2.8 so a 2x would still be putting me in the 5.6 range.

I'm off to Henry's tonight to look at these first hand and see what other options i have too...Maybe the 80-400 although i hear the focus is really slow on that.

just a point but my experiences of a 70-200mm lens (a canon L so similar I think in quality to the 80-200mm you are looking at) are that a 2*Tc is not the easiest of TCs to use. My 1.4 is almost always on the 70-200mm and that works well, a focal length boost with little image degradation and only one stop of light lost.
Nikon make a 1.7TC and from what I have heard its a very good TC so that might be a better option if your after a longer lens.
If you are going to use a 2*TC to get the best results your subject has to really fill the frame as much as possible - if not its going to lack quality at the larger image sizes and prints.
I have some examples of my 70-200mm + 2*TC
little birds photos test - a set on Flickr
*(note one can get improved performance with this combo if you use a pro end body - but they cost a lot!)*

Also if the 80-200mm is not an f2.8 (or wider) lens than auto focus is going to be tricky; whilst nikon cameras don't stop AF functinality due to small apertures on a lens (when wide open) after f5.6 the accuracy and speed starts to nosedive quickly (unless your using a pro end camera).

Most reactions

Back