monopod for hiking

alexlang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this summer (yes its a while away) i am going to be going on a long backcountry trip into the Grand Teton mountain range. I intend to bring my camera since i hear there are excellent photo opportunities all over. now heres my question...i want to bring a monopod (small/light), however i want it to double as a hiking stick.

What are some sturdy yet light monopods that are capable of taking the abuse of a hiking stick.

is there anyway to modify a normal hiking stick so it can accept a camera

thanks

I say bring a light tripod and a dedicated walking stick. I havent heard good things about monopods for taking pictures, theres still horizontal blurring.

You can buy a screw that is the right size fo ra tripod mount, not sure the size, and create something. There was a thing on the screen savers a while ago about turning a pop bottle into a tripod *wouldnt be good for slr's since it would tip*

Go into a hardware store and try out the different sizes in your camera till you find the size that fits. :0)

Was at Base Pro/Outdoor World tonight they had some hiking stick that double as a monopod, they looked little duty.

I don't know of any monopods that could double as a hiking stick. I'd like not to use my nice Bogen for that kind of duty ;-))

Second the thought of a hiking stick that's got a screwmount compatible with your camera and/or lens collar taphole.

Give some thought to freehanding the camera and getting creative, like using a backpack, rock, your knees, a tree, etc. to steady your equipment. A tripod sturdy enough to want to buy will be heavy to drag around in /on your pack.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back