snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just got my monopod in. It has a dual 1/4" - 3/8" screw and says you can mount the camera right to the top if desired. Anyone do this? I'll probably be using a ball head, but wanted to ask. Also, what about lens IS on it? Use it or no?

On your lenses that have dual mode IS switch you can flip it to mode 2 on the monopod (which tells the system to compensate for left/right stabilization but not up/down.)

I _do_ sometimes put a ballhead on my monopod... but for two reasons.

#1 - if I'm on the sailboat and the sailboat is heeling in the wind. Sometimes where the base of the monopod needs to rest for a secure position does not leave the camera level unless I use a head.
#2 - if I'm leaving the monopod attached to a long-ish lens, when I'm not using it, sometimes I'll release the ballhead to let the monopod fold in parallel to the lens and it makes it easier to carry.

But apart from that, there's probably no 'need' for a head on a monopod.

I use a simple monopod head that rotates in one axis only, with a tripod collar on the lens for rotational motion I find that the tripod head set to shift back and forward (up and down when looking through the viewfinder) makes it much easier to use as you can keep the leg straight on the ground. Without a head to let you tilt you'll end up having to lean it backward and forward which is more tricky.

Ballheads are a bit of a pain as when set to loose to easily frame it will flop around the monopod so you'll lose the stability.

Just got my monopod in. It has a dual 1/4" - 3/8" screw and says you can mount the camera right to the top if desired. Anyone do this? I'll probably be using a ball head, but wanted to ask. Also, what about lens IS on it? Use it or no?

I only use my monopod with long lenses and I connect my monopod directly to my lens mount. Sometimes I put my gimbal head on my monopod if I'm in a situation that calls for a lot of up and down movement

I'm thinking I'll attach the 70-200 collar to the monopod mount, then. Seems the easiest way. I'll play around some after work tonight and see what I like best. Thanks!

I normally mount my 200,300,0r 400mm lenses right on the monopod, with no head of any kind. Works well for me. They all have a rotating tripod collar, so I can spin the camera to shoot talls.

The only head I use for convenience is this. B2-Pro/L: 80mm clamp with dual mount - B2-Pro/L

All of my lenses with collars have arca-swiss plates or replacement feet and my bodies have arca-swiss L brackets. Makes for quick, easy and secure gear switches. It also allows me to center the weight of my 400mm f2.8 with body over the center of the monopod.

I use a simple monopod head that rotates in one axis only, with a tripod collar on the lens for rotational motion I find that the tripod head set to shift back and forward (up and down when looking through the viewfinder) makes it much easier to use as you can keep the leg straight on the ground. Without a head to let you tilt you'll end up having to lean it backward and forward which is more tricky.

Ballheads are a bit of a pain as when set to loose to easily frame it will flop around the monopod so you'll lose the stability.
Same here. I prefer a single-axis head to. I find it much easier to pivot the head than to try and angle the monopod so I can see real high or real low.

In looking at the above responses, everything from 'no head' to 'single axis' to 'ball head' is used. It all comes down to 'whatever works best for you'. Having the ability to choose which, if any, head to use is perhaps the best option, as shooting situations vary from location to location.

For what it's worth, when I use my monopod, it's usually in low light situations in church (no weddings) that require the added stability needed for slower exposure times. So, I find myself often leaning against a wall or pillar for stability, in addition to the mono pod which ends up leaning inward towards me slightly. As a result, I use a fairly heavy ball head that gives me complete control of compensatory adjustment in any fashion to keep the monopod on secure footing and the camera aimed where I want it. A single-axis head just wouldn't work for me.

Most reactions

Back