Monopod vs Tripod, what do you like?

whilst the monopod is lighter and quicker to use - its not got the weight that a tripod has which really improves beating performance - plus its 3 (4 if you include the centre column) legs will protect each other from breaking on particularly hard skulls ;)

Honestly its been said already by many - neither is going to replace the other in every situation. A tripod is great for stability and takes all the weight of shooting with a heavy lens off your hands; but its slower to setup, much heavier and more bulky to carry than a monopod.
However if I were sitting in a hide all day I would far rather a nice solid tripod to rest my gear on a than a monopod.

I just recently bought the Canon momopod from adorama,,I cant quite get on to it. I have done better freehand but Im still trying to get the hang of it, the tripod is the way to go

The earlier comment about putting a screw in a stick is almost correct. Change 'screw' to a length of 1/4-20 bolt thread, 'stick' to broomstick or other similar length of approximately 1" diameter wood, add a wing nut to the threads and it's a fully-functional monopod. A bit of thought and you can come up with some sort of removable handle arrangement and now you've got a convertable cane/walking stick/monopod.

I jsut bought a manfrotto mono and at the foot of it you can screw open and turn over 3 mini legs, not a secure tri-pod, but good for a little moment to free up your hands... got to have monopod where I play for fun.

cutting032209005.jpg

show30709174.jpg

CMSA32909dk2146.jpg

nice photos! I'll have to look into the manfrotto.

Monopods and tripods at photographic tool. Like all other tool, right tool for the right job. The choice depends on the job. Same as in the shop, when I'm driving nails I choose a hammer, when I'm cutting boards I choose a saw. :D

And like any tool, knowing the proper way to use it is important. A monopod is more that a broom handle with a screw on top.

http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3

Monopods and tripods at photographic tool. Like all other tool, right tool for the right job. The choice depends on the job. Same as in the shop, when I'm driving nails I choose a hammer, when I'm cutting boards I choose a saw. :D

And like any tool, knowing the proper way to use it is important. A monopod is more that a broom handle with a screw on top.

How To Use A Monopod & Multi-Purpose Tripod

I understand it has to do with what is in the toolbox and what is needed. I was just curious how folks liked these two tools and what they felt most comfortable with. Personally, I could really use a monopod because I don't have steady hands. It would be better for me to use a monopod rather than nothing at all. :)

I shoot a lot with 300mm+ ... so the monopod is the best tool when I am using those lenses. No matter how steady I am ... there will be some shake with long focal lengths.
I use my tripod for macro ... as I tend to shoot with long exposures.

I understand it has to do with what is in the toolbox and what is needed. I was just curious how folks liked these two tools and what they felt most comfortable with. Personally, I could really use a monopod because I don't have steady hands. It would be better for me to use a monopod rather than nothing at all. :)

My point being, I like the tool that does the job the best. If I am shooting my 400mm f2.8L on the sidelines of a football game it's the monopod. If I am shooting wildlife in the mountains from a blind with the same lens then I like the tripod. :D

I use both. Though the monopod gets more use because it is easier for me to carry. Im in the Az back country alot.

My point being, I like the tool that does the job the best. If I am shooting my 400mm f2.8L on the sidelines of a football game it's the monopod. If I am shooting wildlife in the mountains from a blind with the same lens then I like the tripod. :D

Oh, okay! I've used a tripod while using a light tent, taking photos of product while selling on eBay. But other than that I really have had no use of indoor photography. I have done some of course, but not often. But I am more of an outdoorzy person. I don't actually own a monopod, I can just imagine using one and seems like a practical tool.

Terrific link by the way. Thanks! :)

Most reactions

Back