Moon 8/19/2013

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Picture taken tonight. I'm always trying to work on taking a faster shutter to get more accurate details. This is one of the first 5 I shot out of about 55 that I took. I'll check the others later but I've been speeding up the shutter, increasing the ISO and/or exposure
I have LightRoom, but really don't know how to use it yet. I don't know where in LR to check the camera settings.
RAW shooting, JPG export.

lens = Nikon 500mm Reflex f/8 Manual Focus but uses the > O < which is helpful.
Camera = Nikon D7000, remote 1st click up, 2nd shoot (and don't move an inch and hold my breath)
approx 10pm
Tripod = Slik 500DX / SBH 320 (first test) - not anywhere as sturdy as my Slik Professional

Any critique on how to improve would be helpful
$Moon_20130817b.jpg

Last edited:
shutter 1/125 at f/8
0 EV exposure
ISO 250

no flash, my battery doesn't have enough juice to light up the moon :)

500 mm certainly gets the details.

This is one instance where the battery grip gets taken off. The lens collar is used to affix to the tripod. The more weight off the lens and the less bounce one gets on this tripod.

Incredible sharpness, and detail

Incredible sharpness, and detail

Thanks
I'm always trying to improve my sharpness as my hand holding technique is horrid but getting better with help from this board.
In doing moon shots it is so evident when there is even slight camera shake. and this could be from taking a step on the concrete slab (driveway). One has to focus, hold your position, breath and then use the remote shutter to get the detailed shots.

My work on Jupiter/Saturn is next up for improvement but that is technically at a different challenge level.

500mm is going to want a tripod.

There is no need for tripod or high ISOs for taking moon photos. The moon is very bright and requires fast shutter speeds anyway to capture its detail.

Love the detail. I need one of those reflex lenses.

There is no need for tripod or high ISOs for taking moon photos. The moon is very bright and requires fast shutter speeds anyway to capture its detail.

I was only thinking as per the weight of the lens...not aperture or shutter speed. Tripod just makes a good shot easier if you have a relatively static object to shoot.

I agree about the high ISO but why not use a tripod especially with the 500mm lens? I am sure he wants to take the sharpest photos possible and a tripod is certainly going to help regardless of shutter speed.

Most reactions

Back