Moon Abstract

Careful you'll offend some forum members. I think you mean "impression" of the moon. ;)

Dagwood56 said:
I don't normally get bugged by too much, but every so often something triggers my got to say something nerve. :lol: There have been so many threads lately stating 'abstract' images, abstract flowers etc. Most of these shots, especially the flowers being called abstract, are really, "Impressionistic", because they bear resemblence to what they really are. "Abstract" images on the other hand should have no identifiable subject or resemblance to what they actually are. There I said it! Now I feel better. :lol:

Did you intentionally move the camera around or is that just he natural amount of shake from a 30 second exposure?

Careful you'll offend some forum members. I think you mean "impression" of the moon. ;)

Dagwood56 said:
I don't normally get bugged by too much, but every so often something triggers my got to say something nerve. :lol: There have been so many threads lately stating 'abstract' images, abstract flowers etc. Most of these shots, especially the flowers being called abstract, are really, "Impressionistic", because they bear resemblence to what they really are. "Abstract" images on the other hand should have no identifiable subject or resemblance to what they actually are. There I said it! Now I feel better. :lol:

Did you intentionally move the camera around or is that just he natural amount of shake from a 30 second exposure?
haha! I know, but its about time people here started thinking about a quality and integrity of a pic and not the politically correct and incorrect status of it, its starting to really bug me, and yes this was intentional :p

That looks like fun. It remind me of an image someone showed me this weekend. This fellow used the moon, like you did, but to write the word moon.

Like Desi remarked, it's simply fun to mess around and learn with exposure. That's what photography is all about!

Dagwood56 said:

haha! I know, but its about time people here started thinking about a quality and integrity of a pic and not the politically correct and incorrect status of it, its starting to really bug me, and yes this was intentional :p

So correct terminology is meaningless? It is all part of the image.... not just looking at the image, but being able to describe it also.... and describe it correctly.

Charlie, u said it. Looks like i’ll have to tell u the story behind this. If u dont actually know, there is a thing called ‘context’ and ‘abstract has MANY different situations where its context changes. Here for example, i didn’t choose the context ‘where it doesn’t resemble’ BUT there is another definition ’to sumarize’ I chose to name this abstract because I felt that this represented movement…the movement of the moon. And SURE the moon doesnt move this particular way, but I wanted to put a twist on it…
I only said that people need to be a bit lenient, because TPF has some of the most arrogant people I’ve ever met, and they think that THIER way is the RIGHT way.

Last edited:
If u don't actually know, there is a thing called ‘context’ and ‘abstract has MANY different situations where its context changes. Here for example, i didn’t choose the context ‘where it doesn’t resemble’ BUT there is another definition ’to sumarize’ I chose to name this abstract because I felt that this represented movement…the movement of the moon. And SURE the moon doesnt move this particular way, but I wanted to put a twist on it…
I only said that people need to be a bit lenient, because TPF has some of the most arrogant people I’ve ever met, and they think that THIER way is the RIGHT way.

I refrained from saying anything yesterday, and I agree that this image is abstract because it looks nothing like the moon. I don't feel that my comment, which I made in an entirely different thread the other day, was done so in an arrogant manner. I never said my way was the right or only way. Anyone who knows or really wants to learn art & photography should have at least a general understanding of what is, and is not, abstract and or impressionistic style. Its part of learning and I thought that's why people were here.

I mean...the comment wasn't directly at you. And as I said, i do have an understanding of what abstract is, and I know what abstract is. As i said there are different meanings to the word...
And I just realised, nobody critiqued my pic :( even after so many posts, i swear this happens every time! Photography is also about sharing, but some people put that second :I

Well, I didn't say anything about the image because its not really my cup of tea. Maybe a tigher crop would make it more interesting?

Most reactions

Back