Moon Improvements?

tmjjk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$tpf moon.jpg I am sure there is probably a thread or area for just moon pictures, but I would like to know how I can improve this... is this the best I can do with a non professional lens? What could I have done better here... I would like to get a great moon shot with a tree silhouette.. but I cannot figure how to properly expose the moon to show detail, while using a slower shutter to catch the detail of the trees... any help or critiquing would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• $1 (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    $1 (1 of 1)-2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 70
the second one I uploaded by mistake.. and I haven't figured how to delete yet.. lol

How did you take it? settings, camera, lens... That would help you get more feedback probably.
The photo is nice, but there's something wrong I can't really tell being a beginner myself jaja... It seems it lacks detail or something

We have had quite a few forum threads about shooting the moon. Check some of those out and you will find lots of different ideas.

Like LizardKing said...it would be great if you could tell us how you took your shot.

I'm no expert...but this is what I do with my D90 and a 70-300 lens (learned from other threads): Tripod. I select single point focus and then focus on the moon, then I flip it to manual so that I don't loose the focus when the moon moves. I shoot using a timer so the camera doesn't shake from my finger. You can use mirror lock-up if your camera has it. Use a low ISO. For exposure I use manual mode with center point metering. Even that doesn't give perfect metering, so you'll have to play with it a little. You'll still have to sharpen the image in post.

A cool pointer cgipson brought up: You'll get the most detail, such as craters, when you shoot the moon with some tangential lighting (don't shoot the full moon).

Enjoy...hope this helps.

The 2nd one is F11, ISO 100, 1/250, FL 250. Exposure is about right on this one... first one is overexposed.

Looks like you missed focus, or maybe camera motion blur. You could shoot at F8 (plenty of DOF at that distance), and increase your shutter speed a bit if you are handholding. If you are on tripod, use a remote or self timer. Focus using live view in magnification mode... or use AF in spot focus mode. Meter in spot mode too if your body will do it.

As Desi mentioned above, you will get more detail in a less than full moon!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back