Moon shot

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
We had a pretty good moon out the other night so I tried to get some pictures. I've never shot any celestial bodies at night so I am unsure what are the best settings. I had my camera mounted on a tripod and took several long exposures. When I got the prints back I could see a very prominent grain and the moon was not especially bright. I'm shooting with Fuji film (400 speed) and a Canon Eos Elan camera. Can anyone recomend better settings or better film for this kind of shot?

exposure is usually around f8 & 1/250 ....surprisingly fast, often people think because it is dark outside you need a long exposure, but the moon is very bright and you need the opposite or you just get a big glowing ball!

The "Sunny 16" rule usually works for the Moon, too...give or take a stop.

Maybe your grain is due to the 400 ISO, but I can't really confirm this. I fail to understand why the moon wasn't very bright despite your long exposures though... Maybe your film is too old? Eh... Someone else may be more informed on the subject.

Note that long exposures really don't suit the moon, you tend to get big blobs of light in the sky due to the brightness of it. Or at least, I tended to.

Thanks for all of the helpful advice. I'll try again with the settings recomended. Regarding the film, it's pretty new. I'm guessing that the grain might have been a byproduct of the long exposure because the rest of the shots with that roll came out ok. I'm gonna try again tonight and see what I get.

The grain is due to your film speed, go with iso 100 for night shots you want less grainy, although fast film can be more artsy depending on how you wish the finished work to appear.

Try "Moonie 11" instead of "Sunny 16" and you should be there.

LWW

Most reactions

Back