Moon & The Stars

Fingers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have tried to identify the costalation top right but alas not being an expert on stars.

Taken 27/10/2007 6.30pm looking E

DPP_00018.jpg

Very nice...i think it would be a little better if you could tone down the light in the lighthouse, but it still is very good!

I could be wrong, but I think it's Ursa Major aka The Plough,,

Nice picture by the way

looks like the little diper to me but Im not a star guy so what would I know. I like the shot but the lighthouse it blown out. If you had two exposures blended, one for the overall scene and the other for the moon and lighthouse I think the shot would be great

Great shot! How long was the exposure? What ISO? Etc...

looks like the little diper to me but Im not a star guy so what would I know. I like the shot but the lighthouse it blown out. If you had two exposures blended, one for the overall scene and the other for the moon and lighthouse I think the shot would be great

Blending two exposures?

I am very new to DSLR and the processing of RAW files but are you suggesting using some sort of masking technique? As I was struggling to get the right balance between the light and the dark, opting for accepting that the moon and light house would be "blown". If it is possible to change this without looking false then this would be great!

Pleased you like the photo folks, I am rather pleased with it. :)

Love the photo...

This constellation on the top right corner is called the Pleiades in the constellation Taurus. It is actually considered to be an asterism, which is a part of a constellation that is so recognizable on its own that its like a constellation within a constellation. This is also known as the 7 sisters, and is the same star pattern found on the subaru logo. If you look closely you can usually see 6 stars, sometimes 7. Its actually a cluster of stars - about 13 I think in total - maybe more - but only 7 are easily visible.
NOT to be confused with any "dipper" constellation, but many call it the little dipper - which its not

Blending two exposures?

I am very new to DSLR and the processing of RAW files but are you suggesting using some sort of masking technique? As I was struggling to get the right balance between the light and the dark, opting for accepting that the moon and light house would be "blown". If it is possible to change this without looking false then this would be great!

Pleased you like the photo folks, I am rather pleased with it. :)

Great shot, first off.

And yes, some sort of masking technique would work wonders here. It would work much better if you had a couple differently exposed originals to start with. But if not, you can at least make a couple of layers in Photoshop and tone down just the moon and light house.

its definatly possible to blend without making something look fake. Im not talking HDR here, just expose one shot for the highlights and the pther for the rest of the scene mask the two together, I think you'll love the result

beautiful.

the details in water awesome.

Thanks for the generous feed back.

As for editing the blown light house out.!!! pulling ones hair out would be more pleasurable!!

As soon as I try to merge two images, even the lightest of touches just looks all wrong, I must be doing something wrong. Or I am to late and should have take two photos at the time, one under exposed.

It's going to be tough to tone down the blown out parts of the lighthouse and moon, because there's no color to work with. Best bet for the lighthouse will probably be to clone the yellow parts of the lighthouse onto the white parts at a low transparency, and then try to clone out the light flares. With the moon, you may be able to clone out the flare around it and then maybe burn in some craters freehand to make it look a little less blown out. However, getting rid of the flare may be all you'll be able to do realistically.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back