Moonrise

TCampbell

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Moonrise at Fort Lauderdale by Tim Campbell1, on Flickr

This is taken one day before the full moon. The moon appears full, but rises before the sun sets. I was kicking myself for not noticing this about 30 minutes earlier. I would have liked to capture the moon closer to the horizon.

Shot using my (new) Canon 5D III, an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS lens with a 2x adapter (about 360mm). ISO 200 f/5.6 1/400th

I think you lucked out in the sense that you got a good sunset lighting of the city and the moonrise to boot. Looks good to me, even if it is one day before the full moon.

WesternGuy

Thanks everyone. Tony that's a great suggestion about the Photographer's Ephemeris. I've seen a video demonstrating that in the past and it does help with the issue of showing you where you need to set up if you want to capture the moon rising over a specific object.

That is a spectacular photo!!

It's probably the best time to capture a nearly full moon. The full moon typically rises too late for any worthy landscape photo.

You might also lose some definition if photographing the moon too close to the horizon due to atmospheric distortion.

Most reactions

Back