More bad luck :(

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It just doesn't stop! I'm back, your favorite TPF whiner :cry:

I've been away from the keyboard for a couple of days because I was too sore to surf. Saturday evening was "supposed" to be the first photo outing with people from the new club/forum that I started and I decided the wife and I should run out quick to get a couple of blue filters so we could shoot some film in addition to the digital that night. Well, we made it about half way there when the traffic was backed up leading to the off ramp-merging lane for the interchange freeway we needed to take. It was stop and go for about 2-3minutes before some 20 something woman on a cell phone rear ended us at about 50mph in a Ford Explorer. Needless to say if these were cars they would have folded up like pancakes but because they were both trucks (and the frame mounted bumpers are the same height) there was nothing to "easily" crumple and dissapate the force of the impact except our spines! We are both basically OK, just some good whiplash and REALLY sore even still today. The EMT's did take my wife to the hospital (where we spent 6hours in the ER) for precautionary checks and tests to make sure her and baby-to-be were OK (which they are :hail: ).

In the end the truck does still move but will be a total loss. Doesn't matter a ton since we had picked this up cheap as a temporary beater until spring. The pics are deceiving though. It doesn't really look that bad (so much that the police and fire dept. reported the damage as minimal :crazy: ) closer inspection has revealed a kinked and twisted frame (almost 2 inches in the rear, note the crooked seat due to the floor buckling upwards) which in turn pushed all the doors together on the left side and buckled the roof and main beam supports and the whole rear is pushed over about 1.5-2" and the axle is also now crooked making it track sideways. Shattered the window (obviously :blushing: ) and many multiple other things I keep finding.

We still have not been able to find out if she is/was insured :confused: as we do not yet have the police report.

Sorry for the novel :blushing:

I'll fill in more of the holes later when it all comes back to me! :meh:

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7146.jpg

Doesn't look like 50mph does it? There is definately something to be said for modern vehicle construction and crumple zones. If we had been driving my car we would not be so sore today, however that car would have never moved on it's own again because the entire rear end would have been pushed into the back seat :shock:

Awwww!!!! I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I'm glad you and the wife and the baby on board are all ok though...that's the most important thing!

:hug:: :hug::

So glad everyone made it okay!! :hugs: You do seem to be stuck on a cog on the bad karma wheel. So sorry to hear it! I wouldn't mind seeing extra fines passed out to those who cause accidents when it can be easily proven it happened while they were blabbing on the phone. :roll:

Thanks everyone :heart:

After I had to slam on the brakes because of the guy in front of me I looked up in the mirror (like I always do, just expecting to get hit eventually, only this time I was right! :cry: ) anyway, after the impact I looked again to see if they were moving or what and the phone was already attached to her ear. I can only assume if it ever left her ear it was only during the actuall impact :angry1:

Can you imagine how that conversation changed?!

She hit the brakes SO late (only about 1-1.5 cars lengths away) and so fast that she couldn't have seen us. There would have been PLENTY of time for her to stop from where she was when I stopped if she was watching the traffic in front of her :thumbdown:

Can I sue for lost photo-op's? I mean slides are worth what, like $1500 a piece or something? I had the capacity for about 200 images that night :wink: :lol:

Maybe my karma will change after I hit the magical #1000 post marker here :wink:

It seems to help a lot of people. I think I'll use that as my next goal :lol:

Dude, you make my run of bad luck look like a blessing. Its gotta get better.

Glad you and the family are ok, cars can be fixed or replaced.

Like I said, its gotta get better. ;)

Just try to think that this happened instead of something major. It isn't bad luck at all!

Have a good one! :thumbup:

Man, oh man... Sorry to hear the misfortune of having to deal with imbeciles like that. I'm glad you and your family is ok though!

What can i say that hasn't already been said mate. Be thankfull that all three of you are ok. As for the damage assessment, it is very obviously a bent truck (take it out in the paddock and shoot it). Hope she was insured as you don't deserve to go down that path as well if she's not.

Glad you're both ok -

There's been a big thing about using mobiles while drivinin the UK recently - it's now specifically banned, there's an on the spot fine for it.

They're also trying to increase the penalty so you get points on your license for it, but it's still pretty common to see it, even people sending text messages while driving.

At least you didn't lose your rear window wiper :D

I had my first driving experience in the big city (Brisbane) today.. Didn't do too bad.. Would have done better if my mum could read maps... We did three rounds of the city before we got to were we were going... (and all problems were because of one road)..

And I also ran a red light :) But I must add - there was hardly any traffic around (well - ahead of me) and the traffic lights were in a stupid place - and i thought they were actually part of the traffic lights that I was going through - which was orange when i got half way through... But nope... Red..

... Oh well - I'm a learner --- it's my mum that gets punished if I do anything wrong :D

Glad you guys are all okay...

Most reactions

Back