more camera questions

officersdr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last I checked a Nikon D50 could be had for the same price as an *ist D, but that might be the "S" version not the "L". I don't know the difference. Kit deals for the D50 are available at several reputable sites starting at $549. :)

We sell the Pentax *ist D(something) at the shop where I work. We were all very excited to get it in. Then did some test shots, very poor performance IMO. The shots were noisy and the color reproduction was not good, it also tended to produce a rainbow screen like effect on buildings and windows. I think it's called moir or something? :???: Anyway, I was not impressed.

As a Pentax user (35mm) it pains me to say this, but as far as I can tell Pentax simply aren't in the same league as the big boys in the DSLR stakes. I haven't used one enough to really compare (any DSLRs I use are borrowed rather than owned by me) so I'm relying on other people's tests, but most comparative reviews while not saying there's anything horribly wrong with the Pentax seem to suggest there's no particular reason to go for one unless you have a lot of Pentax lenses. Which, seeing as you'd never heard of them, I'm guessing you don't. :)

I have two complaints about Pentax DSLRs that to me seem so obvious I wouldn't even need to see one to know they would put me off buying one.

Firstly, none of them go below 200 ISO. Now if the various Pentax *Ists produce images at 200 ISO that are as good as the 100ISO or lower offered by Canon and Nikon then I withdraw my criticism, but I can't see that being the case.

Secondly, Pentax make a series of cameras - *ist D, *istDS, *istDL, *istDL2... that appear to be almost completely identical. Some have a bigger screen, some have minor improvements and changes, but nothing major. They've now released two new models, the K100D and K100D, which include a 'shake reduction system' but otherwise don't seem to offer much different from the *ists (anyway you can get shake reduction in the Konica-Minolta Dynax/Maxxum cameras, which are cheaper since the company's pulled out of the photo business and which won't be a dead system because it'll be supported by Sony when they take over where KM left off). In short, Canon and Nikon offer entry-level DSLRs, advanced amateur DSLRs, semi-pro DSLRs (I don't like made up words like Prosumer :mrgreen: ) and pro DSLRs. Pentax offer entry-level DSLRs. I personally wouldn't want to buy into that system with no possibility of upgrading to a better body.

I really hope I'm wrong on this, because I like Pentax and don't think we should all have to choose either Canon or Nikon. But I can't really see what a current Pentax DSLR would offer you over a similarly priced model from either of those companies.

Do you need a DSLR? What are you planning on using it for, if it's for the office? If you are planning on just using the kit lens, there isn't much benefit to interchangable lenses. You can get decent cameras without the added expense, and still have a DSLR.

I was looking at the pentax with 12x optical zoom.....I'm not using for anything special aside from my sister wants me to shoot her wedding. She is broke and likes some of my pictures. She can't afford a a pro....so I have a kodak right now, but I would buy a new one before her wedding in August 07

It's a good camera, I've used it and owned it's predecessor the FZ20. I have few complaints, but I think they're worth mentioning.

Noise. You get a noisy image, period. You'll hear varying comments about this, but to me it was very noticeable. And if I'm paying that kind of money for a camera, I shouldn't have to spend hours in front of noise reduction software.

Battery life...really not so good. My FZ20 could only be on (without the LCD active) ready to take pictures for about 2 hours before I'd need another battery. That got old fast. :roll:

For that money, I think one of the lower end DSLRs is a better bet because it will give you better image quality as well as allow you a lot more room to grow in your photography.

after doing some looking around, I found that the Nikon D50 is about 50 bucks cheaper then the Panasonic FZ30. So I think i answered my own question.........so i think the D50 is the camera for me, no to mention that I can get it ebay for 100 cheaper than the stores around here,plus they add a couple extra lens,etc.

So lets hear the review f the D50....personal experiences, photo's, like & dis-likes.......anything!!!!

I will be using this camera for a wedding next year so I need to hear how ( and see ) about portrait's that this camera takes.

I've had my D50 for about six months now and I'm pretty happy. But I certainly have learned that a finished picture is vastly effected more by your lens choice than the camera body.

The battery life is excellent, I did a wedding just a couple of weeks ago and had the camera on constantly snapping photos for about 5 hours and did not need another battery (although I did have a back up). Usually, one charge on the battery will last me for months.

The only thing I don't like about the camera is the ISO range. 200-1600. My ideal would be 100-1600 with 50s in the range. But ya can't have everything right?

Size and weight wise the camera is perfect for me. I have small hands and found the D70 far too big to be comfortable. The build quality is also nice, it doesn't feel cheap and plasticy or like it will break at any moment.

Here's the portraits I've done with it. I've included a range from all the lenses I've used.

First is an image I quite like. Taken with a 50mm f/1.8 and SB600 flash:

eli.jpg

Second is from the wedding I mentioned. Lens used was a Nikon 24-120VR:heart:. I don't think I fired the flash on this shot. I was VERY impressed with the camera and lenses ability to correctly capture the tones on the brides dress. There is nothing worse IMO in wedding photography than having bad tones or blown highlights on the dress.

carol.jpg

And this was a simple light test I did using the kit lens. 17-55 Nikon (hate that lens!) And the SB600 flash.

jules.jpg

Hope that helps you out some! :)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009GZANC/102-6947657-1160932?v=glance&n=502394[/ame]
price is 648.00 on amazon : )

does the d50 have an image stablization?? or something to eliminate hand shake?

The D50 does not have image stablization in the body, but if you are buying a kit with the 18-55mm you will not need it, if you use 200mm or larger lens then I would recommend a tripod or Nikon do have VR lenses (vibration reduction) but they are not cheap.

does anyone have any problems blurred pics from this camera?? My current Kodak does not have image stablization and I have a problem from time to time with blurry pictures

Avoiding blurry photos is not really a measure of the camera (with some exceptions)...but of the photographer. You have to use a shutter speed that is fast enough to compensate for how shaky you are (some people are steadier than others). As mentioned, Nikon does have VR lenses that do have image stabilization. Also, if you get some fast lenses (large maximum aperture), that will let in more light...allowing you to use faster shutter speeds...reducing the chance of blurriness.

Most reactions

Back