More CC please.

RoCoFF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I went out this past weekend and did a little more practicing. I tried to focus a little harder on getting my focus just right. Some came out ok, others didn't. Here is what I came home with.

DSC_9364_zps7af6ed27.jpg

D300
50mm f/1.8D @ f/1.8
ISO- 400
1/125 SS

This one I am over all happy with. I do wish I would have focused on the bark that was closest to me instead of on the side.

DSC_9330_zpsacf79cae.jpg

50mm f/1.8D @ F/8
ISO- 200
1/2500 SS

This one was is REALLY bright sunlight at about 8:30 in the morning. It seems overly harsh and I am not super excited about it.

DSC_9418_zps321027f3.jpg

D300
Nikon f/1.8D @ F/2.8
ISO- 640
1/60 SS

I was attempting to capture motion on an interstate on-ramp I was able to stand near. This was in the afternoon about 20 min till dusk. I don't think I quite got it with this one and i'll come back and try again.

Again, any help is more than welcome. Thanks for taking a second and looking over these!

You need more practice metering. My advice is to get a hand-held meter and learn how to use it. If you know how to meter, you will know exactly how the sky will turn out. But honestly I would have avoided that sky or at least put the brightest part behind an object. You have the idea of silhouettes. But whenever the sun is in the frame, it will be blown out. If you would have metered for the cloud highlights, you would've prevented blowouts but the rest of the image would have been so muddy there would have been nothing to look at. So other than practicing silhouettes the image doesn't serve anyone. The first image needs a quality of light and ideally something more interesting than tree bark. There's no light on it and compositionally it needs more interest. You're practicing techniques, but don't just do technique. Think about why you're using a technique, and go for an image.

I do appreciate the advice. I broke out the old book from college and I am attempting to brush up on light metering. To really put it into practice, I am shooting in full manual. At the same time I'm trying to put into practice WB. So much!!!! Haha, it's alright though. I'm hoping with the weather breaking I will spend some more time outside. I can admit that this has not come naturally. I have never had an artistic side so composition is a real struggle. It seems to me that really simple pictures excite me the most. I also want to really try and shoot bright bright colors this spring! I definitely appreciate those!

Keep shooting and put to practice what you learn, once you see results it will be easy to evaluate your light. the D300 is more than capable of giving you a good exposure!

Most reactions

Back