More control using TIFF?

Nytmair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.km3k.com
Sorry, i'm still a little confused about this stuff... but if you use RAW images, can't you then use some program to alter the RAW image much more than you could a jpeg sometime?

Now my panasonic doesn't do RAW, it does TIFF.... does this work the same where I can get some program to alter the TIFF file better than a JPEG? or is it just a less compress JPEG :?

Thanks for any help

Jpeg has 8 bits per channel
Tiff has 16 (actually 12 from camera) bits per channel.

in the end, tiff allows you to adjust curves and editing to a greater extent while keeping the image looking acceptable.

Cheers

The big drawback is that TIFFs are HUUUUGE and nobody really uses them if they can get away with it because they take up so much space.

The ability to post edit JPGs is sometimes greatly underestimated. You can do just as much to a jpg as you can to a RAW file...especially if you use a good program that doesn't recompress the jpg too much. Of course the quality of the edited jpg won't be as good but then it might be acceptable depending on what you're doing with the photo. It will be more than good enough for small prints or web/computer viewing.

Most reactions

Back