"more exposure" vs "less exposure"

adichiru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I have been reading some materials on photography (a course of professional photography) and find out the expressions "more exposure" or "more than average exposure" and "less exposure" or "less than average exposure".
In my mind, more exposure would refer to more light, going towards over exposure.
Similarly, less exposure would be less light, darker image, going towards under exposure?

If this is correct, the material I was reading is wrong as it was describing the dodging and burning (in film developing techniques) exactly the opposite.

What do you think?

Thanks

I would agree with you on this interpretation Adichiru, more is more, less is less...although if we're wrong, hopefully some wiser member will correct us. I always shoot in manual, and often prefer to shoot slightly underexposed. If it's too much, I fix it in post-processing, but usually it brings out just the kind of contrast and pop I'm aiming for.

also google high key vs low key photography

Thanks 888Photography!

often prefer to shoot slightly underexposed. If it's too much, I fix it in post-processing, but usually it brings out just the kind of contrast and pop I'm aiming for.

- underexposing, in digital RAW at least, will get you an image with less information - the black areas (if you go that far intentionally or by mistake) hold no information so recovering an underexposed image is almost impossible. If you control exactly the underexposure than it will get you better pop - in flash photography this is quite common.
- overexposing however, and getting sometimes parts of the image blown out, is much likely to be recover-able as in the white areas there is still info

More precise and technical details on this can be found via google.

Care to post quotes from the material you were reading? 'More exposure' certainly refers to more light or a brighter image, and vice versa, so unless the material you are reading was written by a complete imbecile then I suspect you are slightly misinterpreting the wording somehow.

Sure:

“Burning in” refers to the process of giving parts of an image more exposure than the rest of the image.
“Dodging” refers to the process of giving parts of an image less exposure than the rest of the image.

As far as I know from Photoshop and Lightroom is quite vice versa.

The material is actually the complete course of professional photography from New York Institute of Photography - the latest version.

Sure:

“Burning in” refers to the process of giving parts of an image more exposure than the rest of the image.
“Dodging” refers to the process of giving parts of an image less exposure than the rest of the image.

As far as I know from Photoshop and Lightroom is quite vice versa.

The material is actually the complete course of professional photography from New York Institute of Photography - the latest version.

This refers to darkroom printing from a negative. If the highlight areas in the print are too light, then you have to allow more light through the corresponding dark areas of the negative (burning in) which produces more silver (BW) or dye (color) in the print.

Yes! You are right. It was about film developing and not digital. I should have realized this and also they should have been more clear.

This is the actual text:

35. “Dodging” refers to the process of:Correct Answer:
B : “Dodging” refers to the process of giving parts of an image less exposure than the rest of the image. This can be accomplished in both Photoshop and the traditional darkroom.​
You Answered: A Correct Answer: B

36. “Burning In” refers to the process of:Correct Answer:
A : “Burning in” refers to the process of giving parts of an image more exposure than the rest of the image. This can be accomplished in both Photoshop and the traditional darkroom.​
You Answered: B Correct Answer: A

So the fact that they mention Photoshop as the digital darkroom is not very inspired.

Thank you!

More exposure is more light but don't necessarily means brighter image. ISO, image processing software and displaying medium determines image brightness. Thus, exposure refer to only aperture (not f stop, but entrance pupil) and shutter speed.

It's very hard to have a pitch black photo in digital cameras. Unlike film negatives, at the darkest portion of the image is always read noise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back