9369044948_55f47c5c9d_h.jpg

3:
9369045574_c2533e2e50_b.jpg

4:
9366259905_c13239153b_b.jpg

5:
9366269027_d2b8e72072_h.jpg

9366263119_18e8e5200a_h.jpg

Really like 1 and 4! Wish her blouse were not wrinkled in one though.

C&C per req:

1. This one really falls down compared to the rest of the set. Two big issues: key light is way too hot (nearly blown whites in the shirt & mortar-board and excessive specular highlights on the face) and her pose, is, well... just wrong. In general when posing you want the torso to be straight (she's leaning back), you don't want the upper-body more than 45 degrees to the camera, and you want (especially for women) the head, neck and chin slightly forward. To be brutally frank this makes her look like a chicken! The wrinkled shirt, well, that's not exactly a plus either...

2. Okay, getting better. I can't say I find brick walls an overly attractive background, but I know they're in vogue, 'nuff said. Again the key is a bit hot and harsh. I suspect that your light is too far away and you're blasting too much power to make up for it. Closer lights and lower power are almost always better. Notice here how much better her pose and overall look is just by the fact that the wall has forced her back/neck straight and she's got one leg raised up a bit. GOOD smile!

3. Great happy expression, a bit too square on to the camera and previous comments with respect to lighting & exposure apply. I see this one as a big hit on facebook (and I mean that in a good way).

4. The money shot! This one has just about everything done right. Exposure is good (I can't comment too much on minor colour/WB since this monitoris wayyyy out of whack, calibration-wise), specular highlights are ideal, nice catchlights (they could be a little higher, and I'd try brightening the eyes a little more, but that's minor). Again, compare this one, where her chin is pushed slightly forward and down with #1... worlds apart!

5. Nice; I think the whites are just a tad too hot, but I suspect they're recoverable in post. I'd do something about the little bits of arm you can see protruding from her dresses shoulder-straps; they look a bit incongrous.

6. Mehh... nice enough, but again a bit hot on the key. Watch where things like the fence rail are in relation to the subject; above or below the breasts is fine, but cutting through them isn't really ideal. If you'd say given her an apple-box to stand on,a nd her hands a little more together, with her leaning a bit more forward, this would have been great!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. This one really falls down compared to the rest of the set. Two big issues: key light is way too hot (nearly blown whites in the shirt & mortar-board and excessive specular highlights on the face) and her pose, is, well... just wrong. In general when posing you want the torso to be straight (she's leaning back), you don't want the upper-body more than 45 degrees to the camera, and you want (especially for women) the head, neck and chin slightly forward. To be brutally frank this makes her look like a chicken! The wrinkled shirt, well, that's not exactly a plus either...

2. Okay, getting better. I can't say I find brick walls an overly attractive background, but I know they're in vogue, 'nuff said. Again the key is a bit hot and harsh. I suspect that your light is too far away and you're blasting too much power to make up for it. Closer lights and lower power are almost always better. Notice here how much better her pose and overall look is just by the fact that the wall has forced her back/neck straight and she's got one leg raised up a bit. GOOD smile!

3. Great happy expression, a bit too square on to the camera and previous comments with respect to lighting & exposure apply. I see this one as a big hit on facebook (and I mean that in a good way).

4. The money shot! This one has just about everything done right. Exposure is good (I can't comment too much on minor colour/WB since this monitoris wayyyy out of whack, calibration-wise), specular highlights are ideal, nice catchlights (they could be a little higher, and I'd try brightening the eyes a little more, but that's minor). Again, compare this one, where her chin is pushed slightly forward and down with #1... worlds apart!

5. Nice; I think the whites are just a tad too hot, but I suspect they're recoverable in post. I'd do something about the little bits of arm you can see protruding from her dresses shoulder-straps; they look a bit incongrous.

6. Mehh... nice enough, but again a bit hot on the key. Watch where things like the fence rail are in relation to the subject; above or below the breasts is fine, but cutting through them isn't really ideal. If you'd say given her an apple-box to stand on,a nd her hands a little more together, with her leaning a bit more forward, this would have been great!

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

THANK YOU

I PRINT OUT THESE CCs AND STUDY THEM RELIGOUSLY!

I knew from my own experience that John would point out the brick - and he's right. Leads your eye out of them frame. Solid set though.

Pretty much what tirediron said, the money shot is four. The pp may not be to everyone's taste, but I like it in this shot and is seems to be very popular right now.

The only other thing I'd add is that 1 needs more space on the left. Its a bit weird how you cut off her body.

Rosy, you have improved. I don't care for #4.. too yellow, no matter how popular it is. I much prefer #5 or #6... she is lovely!

Rosy, you have improved. I don't care for #4.. too yellow, no matter how popular it is. I much prefer #5 or #6... she is lovely!

YEP I figured you would say that, she begged me for that PP. I like the original colored one too!
HOW you doing CHARLIE??

YEP I figured you would say that, she begged me for that PP. I like the original colored one too!
HOW you doing CHARLIE??

I'm ok... all I can say...

I think maybe a slightly different posing approach would have shown off her figure type a bit more advantageously. Maybe fewer of the square-to-the-camera body and shoulder shots, maybe a bit more weight on the back leg, a bit more forward lean out and "over the belt buckle"torso and bust positioning, with just ever-so-slightly projected chin would have helped show off her features. The first three shots seem slightly over-flashed to me, but the later ones look better. The last shot looks a wee bit too saturated on the flowers, maybe a bit close to blown in the red channel.

On Shot #2, the brick wall shot, my eye kind of wanders out of the frame on the left hand side; she's placed a bit too far to the right in the frame I think. A different approach, and one that looks pretty good when shooting at an angle to a wall is called "skimming"; you aim the camera from pretty close to the wall, so there is more space in front of the subject...more wall "before" the subject, and the out of focus appears mostly in front of the subject, then they are in the DOF zone, and then there's not that much background on the "off" side. In that way the brickwork leads the eye "into" the subject; the way #2 is framed, the bricks lead the eye out of the scene, with the vanishing point commanding a lot of attention.

Overall, I think a dark-haired young lady wearing a gauzy,white, sleeveless blouse in summer weather outdoors represents a heck of a challenge. Tricky stuff. For a first set of this type, pretty good job.

Most reactions

Back