More from the Jumps - CnC requested

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got around to processing a few more shots from my last time at the show jumping (from a few weeks back now).

15802586231_6da5380063_b.jpg

f2.8 1/640sec ISO 6400
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII

15780802326_6a9004bac8_b.jpg

f2.8 1/640sec ISO 6400
Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS

15619619630_3e437ca149_b.jpg

f2.8 1/640sec ISO 6400

15618648029_cd4af57804_b.jpg

f2.8 1/640sec ISO 6400
Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS

15619055828_c1f89594a5_o.jpg

f2.8 1/640sec ISO 6400

Met another photographer whilst there who wanted to try out the Canon hence my switch to the 120-300mm for a bit which is just a touch too long for that indoor arena where I was shooting from.

Was also up in the balcony (ergo why its not in any of the backgrounds in these ones) which proved a different shooting experience. Easier in that you could use nearly one spot and shoot several more jumps from this angle; however the angle changes on the horse when you're side on and above a bit more.

Another thing I noticed was that I was trying to maximise horse in the frame and rider in the frame, which resulted in me using the far most right af point or the far most left (mostly right because of their direction around the arena). However when it came to review I found that because I've put the horses head so far into the corner it had little space to go - and I'd left way more space than it appeared (on the LCD in a quick review) behind for the tail - indeed I was wasting a good chunk of frame there.
I'm starting think that the focal point I need to work with isn't the riders head nor the horses head, but the horses shoulder since it balances between the two prime points of interest )head of rider and head of horse). If I place the middle AF point or near enough to that over the shoulder that might give me less waste in the frame.

As always any views or critique will be greatly welcome!

Focus & exposure? Spot-on! A couple of things strike me: I think your angle for the yellow jump wasn't ideal, as the riders seem to be looking off to image right, and the higher shooting angle minimizes the apparent height of the jumps, but provides a cleaner background, so I guess that's a trade-off. I think the timing in the third image is absolutely perfect; that is (IMO) the ideal angle for the horse, it looks rather more dramatic than it does once they've 'leveled out' as in the first two.

I agree that choosing the center AF point and aiming at the shoulder is probably going to be a good idea. It seems most of them have a strap connecting the breastplate to the saddle and some are equipped with a ring right at that spot.

I know nothing of horse jumping but I do admire your processing. The white & black points seem spot on. Photo's jump out.

Yes, the horse in shot #3 looks much more "active" and just "better", due to the rear feet still being on the ground, and the main body and head of the animal being angled upwardly. Overall, I would agree that there's excessive space behind the horses, and not adequate space in front of them. The allotment of space both behind and in front of the direction of travel is too equal. Color and exposure are good. I like the ever-so-slight hoof movement in a couple of these....just the very tiniest hint of blur that I think looks very nice, better in fact than frozen motion, which often looks, well, weird. The backgrounds you got are nice and simple, better I think than the ones in last week's post, which were more cluttery with more elements of the arena/stadium showing. These photos keep the arena's characteristics at the bare minimal degree, with just simple areas of basic, plain texture or color and I think that's very helpful.

There ok but from a sales point 1,2,4,5 are not sellers well I have never sold any like that, try and find another venue because this place is not great for photography

Many thanks guys :)

The only problem I might have to contend with is that a horses shoulder is thicker than its head, if I land the focus on the head I might end up missing that middle line of riders head and horse head - I'll have to play around with it.

Gary - aye its not the easiest to shoot in and the backgrounds are not good (or at least good ones are hard to find there might be one or two semi-decent angles out in the arena, but I suspect not much different to what I got here). I can still keep practising though and get better on my timing so that if/when i can get to an out-door space I can get some really great shots.

Commercial isn't a worry for me at present - thus far there are already pros working the scene

Most reactions

Back