More gear or less: The Photographer's Paradox

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by Derrel, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It is difficult to explain because DeArco did not produce his video very well. His basic concept is lost in the side issues.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    it was pretty easy for me to understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    LRlala wrote:"
    Pretty much...

4. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    Understandable, yes, but difficult to explain. Perhaps not very well thought out.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Many things are difficult to summarize, condense, or to describe in few words. It was ONE simple story, about One attitude. Maybe if the writer had been less work-avoidant, he could have summarized the video. But that was not the goal...is it too much to ask people to draw their own conclusions from a 7:02 video? Should the video have come with a point-by-point outline at the start?

I am frankly, surprised by the overall negative, dismissive, flippant responses here. Wow. Sooooo many people failed to get much out of this.: the negative reaction reinforces so many stereotypes about forum hive-mind characterizations.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  7. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    I did watch the video and did, indeed, draw my own conclusions. I just think he could have accomplished the same goal with fewer side issues.

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I just re-watched the video, for the fourth time....I am astounded that you felt there were too many "side issues" in one, 7:02 video; what I mean is that I am astounded that you could not see the clear,simple narrative that was so blatantly obvious to me. I am really shocked that _anybody_ would have difficulty following along with this video, in any way.Was it a slick, Hollywood movie, or a Super Bowl commercial? No, neither. But it is a seven minute video...that's not that long a video to be confused by a simple anecdote about overloading on gear and effort to achieve the same level of engagement and direct, un-retouched uploading achieved with a bar minimum of equipment. It seems so,so simple to me..pay ATTENTION to your audience not to other "photographers",and pay ATTENTION to what is truly important. I loved his example of ,"Zooming in...and retouching every zit and flyaway on a person's body"as a good example of obsessing over detail the the viewers of photography are NOT worried about.

9. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    @Derrel , thanks for posting this. I just watched it, and I did get something positive out of it. I myself have been trying to cut back and simplify my life, including my hobbies. And, I like what his friend recommended: just take the essentials and don’t edit.

I also really liked the point he got to around the 5 minute mark (the main point of the video), which was: know your audience. The people on Instagram won’t care whether he used additional lighting or not, whether he used a reflector or not… or what lens he used. And, he noticed that in his account. It didn’t matter if there were people in the background or if the composition was off, people liked the photos because they weren't photographers.

I think that’s a lesson that every photographer, and really anyone making money in ANY business, should learn and be aware of: Know your audience.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Good to hear feedback that's positive, and from a person that was able to extract something from the video/blog.

• Like Like x 1
  11. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Same old herd of independent minds, Derrel. The critics just don't get this video because a) they're maybe not really doing much photographically aside from spewing in forums or, b) they're too embarrassed to fess up to being suckered into amassing gear tonnage whose contribution to "quality" fell way short of expectations. Fuji mirrorless and quirky cameras like the Ricoh GR II are just plain fun. Results? No complaints. Aesthetics change and anyone who doesn't get that isn't paying--or getting--much attention.

12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

A scathing indictment...

no comment , except to say that the comments about social media (and its users) in some replies above indicate an indifference/loathing/lack of respect/lack of awareness of what social media ( IG, FB, TWITTER to name the Big 3, there are others) "is" within the decade of the 20-teens...as if social media occupies the SAME stature it did it 2007 or 2008...

It is as if a lesson proved out on IG with 4,000 people has zero applicability to any aspect of business, and IG is merely a vehicle for cute cat pictures. We get it..social media fills many roles..cute cat pics? Not so much any more. Social media has become a powerful force in both culture and in business..it is a DIRECT connection, in most cases,a FREE (monetarily speaking), direct method of engagement with potential customers...

Sorry to sound so "ranty" but your reply came as I was working on my "yellow pages advertisement" for my photo business. LOL