More gear or less: The Photographer's Paradox

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by Derrel, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a quick thought on the GRIII, on the Pentax forum some say the GRIII has a bit of a wobble on the D-pad I think.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    My experience: when I have LESS gear with me, I think about HOW to get the photos I want/can get/need to make. When I have a LOT of gear, my thought process is different...and I think differently, in a more-complicated way. I used to take a lot of lenses on big shoots...85/105/135/70-200..and would often NOT use the three primes at all, instead using the 70-200 as a substitute.

Adding lights, reflectors, umbrellas, softboxes, metal reflectors, grids, etc. additionally complicates things.

Camping, vacationing, it's the same: take it ALL, take a moderate quantity of stuff, or a bare-bones kit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  5. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well, the online photographer thinks that as an amateur, one should only have up to four lenses.

However there is NO WAY I would be happy with only four lenses.

Right now I use five regular lenses - 20/35/58/105/180mm and five speciality lenses - Fisheye, Wide Zoom, Long Zoom, and 2 Macro lenses.

I could see myself adding a 300mm of some description in future, but those are expensive and heavy, and more importantly do I need them ? I dont really think so.

And yes I never have all these lenses on me. Right now for example I have the 35mm and the 180mm.

I also have a lot of lenses that I no longer use at all.

6. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I pack just three lanes when going on holiday... only because the other half will get a trifle upset if I fill the boot with camera kit.
    Only owning 3 lenses.... got to be kidding .
    Can feel the withdrawal symptoms starting just thinking about it

7. texxter

texxter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    20190516_101926.jpg When I travel I take one camera, the Fuji xt100t, with a single, non-interchangeable 35mm f2 lens, and I love the experience of carrying my camera around my wrist all the time, light, unconspicuous and totally silent. I never have to worry about changing lenses, dust on the sensor, or discomfort from carrying a heavy camera bag. Yes, I am limited - no super-wide shots and no telephoto portraits. But I accept the limitation of my hyper-simple setup and shoot the best I can with this single focal length. When I went to Varanasi, India last Jan I made an exception and took another small camera with a telephoto prime. I ended up not bothering with it much and shot most images with the Fuji x100t. The 35mm focal length forces me to get close to people, to talk to them, and, at the same time, not to be intimidating because my camera/lens is tiny.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    In the years of 2013 and 2014 I did a lot of landscape shoots, and in 2013 I used to carry a pretty large assortment of lenses, often six or seven as well as a Nikon D3X which is a large, heavy camera.

After returning from a coast shoot, I thought to myself,"Well I didn't use this lens,and I didn't use that lens, and I didn't use this lens, so why did I take those extra lenses? "

So...after many years of overburdening myself, I suddenly switched to carrying a very minimalist lens kit. I had a lot of lenses back then. In 2013, owned over 100 lenses, in Nikon F mount, Leica thread mount, Bronica mount, Canon EF mount, and in M42 thread mount, and one Olympus OM lens, all amassed over 30 years.. When the Nikon D100 hit the market, there was a huge tidal wave of used Nikon lenses that flooded the market, often at ridiculously low prices, and it was during this period that I was buying one or two lenses every month, often for $50-$75 each.after my realization in 2014, I realized that my needs could be whittled down to a pretty small lens kit. Give me a 24 and 85 and the 70 to 200, and I am set.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  9. dennyr

dennyr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    FWIW....... i am just a hack "Street Photographer" but i carry a 28 and a 50 and an 85.
    Gear is always a trade-off in one way or another, but i find it "Liberating" to use prime lens.
    I kind of laugh when i see people that lug around a 35-200 everywhere they go. Then again, they never have to change a lens. :)

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    28/50/85... very capable trio... by most standards. A reasonable lens kit, just three lenses, each moderate in its renderings...

11. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A compact/P&S is not a replacement for a dSLR. It fills a gap between the phone camera and the dSLR. It is another tool in the tool box.
    The compact/P&S has limitations, and you have to work within those limits.
    • To me, the most irritating limitation of a P&S is shutter lag. The P&S did NOT work for FAST action like shooting kids at a party. That was a frustrating experience. By the time the camera fired, the kids moved 2 feet, turned around, or did something that ruined the shot :mad:
    And it has benefits
    • The ability to adjust the EC gives it a capability that a phone camera does not have, yet.
    • When I drain the battery, from shooting a LOT, I just swap batteries. I don't have to leash the phone to a power pack.
    • I would NEVER hand my phone to a person that I did not know well, to take my pic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Ac12 hi. I just don’t use my phone that munchkin so I hardly ever use the camera on it But I know what you mean,
    I have gone down the route of DSLR as much because in the winter months and when my joints are bad I do a lot of indoor and out of the box photography. I had forgotten about shutter lag but now that you mention it my bridge camera has awful shutter lag or so it seams after using the 600d