More magnification for my AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D?

Sigma 150mm is a FANTASTIC LENS - the older version is still a very good buy and very cheap on the used market now.

That aside a new macro lens won't give you any more magnification than you're getting now. 60mm, 35mm, 150mm, 200mm - because magnification is a ratio of the reflected image size to the actual subject size the 1:1 magnification that all the current prime macro lenses on the market get to gives you the same frame coverage no matter the focal length.

What changes is the working distance (longer macro lenses give you 1:1 from further away) and also the background blurring with longer lenses giving an increased amount of background separation and thus more blurring.

If you want more magnification you've already identified the 3 key methods to use - extension tubes, teleconverters and close up lens attachments. Reversing is also a fourth option though, as you rightly say, you'll need a new lens for that as well. The only way that you can increase the magnification without losing focusing distance is to use teleconverters, you might get luck with the Kenko pro brand teleconverters (they have the smallest protruding front element and thus fit to the most possible lenses) however do check to see if its possible before buying. Another option is to use a teleconverter with an extension tube between it and the lens - this will still remove infinity focusing on the lens and reduce the min focusing distance, but it will still let you mount the telconverter to get its bonus to the magnification.

The close up lens attachments are also a valid option, again they cut your focusing distance, but they work well and have the bonus that they are fast to attach and remove. A Raynox DCR 250 is a great and affordable start in this regard.

As for working distance, don't get too scared, the only lens on the market that currently does more than 1:1 magnification is only 65mm in focal length and drops down to around a 40mm at its 5:1 setting - and many photographers use that lens all the time. A challenge yes, but sometimes those reduced working distances make other things easier (you can brace yourself on the surface the subject is upon more easily and thus reduce shake, which becomes even more extreme as the magnification increases_/

I went online to check out some pictures taken with that lens and found some very nice macro shots similar to what I am wanting to do. The older version may be a possibility I like the idea of having 150mm to work with.

I understand the concept of 1:1 photo but did not realize that the background separation may be of interest. Thanks for pointing that out

As far as teleconverter, The kenko pro you are talking about, is it the 1.4 or 2x or else? I also have the Nikon 70-200 VRII would you know if it will work with that lens? a teleconverter that I can use witm more than one lens is a great advantage.
When you say do check if it's possible do you mean to check if it will work with my lens?

I do like the price of the Raynox DCR 250 will it work in a similar way as a 2.5 teleconverter as far as magnification?

Thanks for finding an advantage to the reduced focusing distance, so far the insect I have tried to capture, don't like me much, specially if I cast a shadow on their territory!

I will have a lot to ponder after re-reading all these post

Thanks!

Sparky thanks for posting the pictures of your set-up, it is enlightening!

Maybe Charlie and Sparky can post (repost?) some shots of your macro setups? Because MiFleur needs to know that the lens (and extension/bellows) is only the starting point. Then you need to think about light, which usually means some kind of flash setup, and if you're into precise focusing, then there's the tripod, head, focusing rails, remote shutter release, diffuser screen, etc. It IS possible to go minimally, but many (most?) macro photographers have a whole pile of gear to get the showcase results. Depending on whether I'm moving or stationary, I have two different setups - one with a flash bracket, and another on focusing rails and a tripod, both with flashes fired off-camera and with various diffusers between the flashes and the subject(s). Macro photography can be a photographic black hole, sucking money like there's no tomorrow.

I just bought a ring flash that I intend to use, I do have the remote shutter, which I have been using a lot already, but I have no diffuser screen, or rails, only the SB600 flash. The flash bracket is affordable and could be used in many situations. Well I guess I have already been sucked up in the black hole

Try KEH.com for used lens. Absolutely trust worthy. They under rate their equipment, so a "ex+" is actually like new. I usually go for the "EX" rated ones. "Bargain" rated are the ones you probably don't want.

I have the 105VR macro. It's good, but I do find that I can use even more magnification. I am using the D700 so maybe it should be that I can ask for more resolution for cropping!
Working distance is still small, but not that small, only a few inches, which is enough to scare some bugs away.

Thanks for the hint! finally the sigma 150 mm would probably be best for what I can do, if I can find one at a good price.

anybody that has pictures taken with the kenko teleconverters please give me a link, I would really like to see some results.

Thanks once more!

One of my macro shots taken with my 60 mm lens and my D90, hand held, no flash

Spider macro by MiFleur, Back to normal, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back