More Orchids

Joel_W

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As suggested, I opened a Flickr account, and eventually realized that I can't upload photos from there. Here's a link to 6 Orchids I posted in a set including the one from the original thread. I did very slightly brighten it up. Let me know if these are of a better quality.

Orchids - a set on Flickr

Let me copy them here for you....
6538045307_b2b87f6447_b.jpg

6538322429_79813c54c5_b.jpg

6538320505_6636936937_b.jpg

6538319019_4199b20859_b.jpg

6538317261_41f9b17d7e_b.jpg

6538315355_491d3d6570_b.jpg

6538310501_13c2cc4aa5_b.jpg

Regards :D

Thanks for copying my pictures and posting my pictures. I did finally figure out how to do it thanks to Natalie's efforts.

You've improved some of these as you've re-posted them but you still have a processing problem with some.

You may be confused as initial feedback you got indicated the photos were underexposed or too dark and you've since noted that you've brightened them up. Technically they don't need "brightened" they need a contrast increase that is best achieved by adjusting the tone distribution. This is complicated specifically in the case of these photos because the colors are so highly saturated to begin with.

What software are you using to adjust these photos?

It's probably helpful to note that not all the photos have the same problem to the same degree -- there's some inconsistency. For example the two yellow/orange orchids are pretty bad while the pink with white centers orchids (3rd photo in this post) are just about right.

This would be more effective if I could show you using one of your photos, but here's an example using a different photo:

spiderwort.jpg

On the left you see the photo as it came from the camera. Inset below is the histogram for that image. The histogram fails to extend from corner to corner. If the histogram does not reach the left corner there is no black in the photo. If the histogram doesn't reach or at least get close to the right corner there are no highlights in the photo. As a result the photo is flat -- it has a veiled appearance as if looking through a haze.

On the right the photo has not been brightened. The tone distribution has been spread out (inset histogram). As a result the contrast in the photo is dramatically improved. Simply brightening the photo would have moved the compressed histogram to the right and the tone response would have stayed compressed. The photo on the right was edited in Photoshop using Levels.

What software are you using to edit your photos?

Joe

Joe, I only re-edited the 1st photo to brighten it up some. Everything else was accomplished by switching from Photobucket to Flickr. That did indeed solve the sharpness issues, and some brightness and contrast issues.

As for which programs I use to edit, I use Olympus Viewer 2, Nikon View NX2, and for HDR imaging Photomatix Essentials 3.1. I like to do my 1st rough editing in the Olympus program, then finish up with the Nikon program. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I've been playing around with Photomatix with just one image, and under certain conditions does a super job.

The two Orange/Yellow Orchids are none like I've seen before, and actually have a deep color intensity.

As for your before and after pictures, I actually prefer the tonal qualities, as well as the overall image of the 1st one. On my computer screen (which I was able to see the full test patten I was sent the link to,) the untouched picture looks soft, has rich natural color, and was shot under diffused lighting conditions. the 2nd image looks as though it's slightly over exposed, and was shot in brighter and more contrasty light. The background in the 1st picture is much more pleasing and complimentary then in the 2nd photo. This is just my humble opinion, but you get a better idea of what I like in a floral.

Photography is more subjective then objective, as each viewer has their own sense of what they like and prefer, which doesn't necessarily coincide with others. Fine art is a perfect example of this.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back