More Portrait Practice with Tiffany

I was thinking maybe get good with the little digital camera I have first, then get a DSLR.

Exactly right! There is more to photography than equipment. You should learn composition at the very least, and study exposure even if your camera does most of it for you.

That said, could you recommend a good starter DSLR that would come in under $1,000? I have scoured CL but I'm really shaky about buying one used from someone. I have seen some fantastic deals on there where they are selling the camera, 2 lenses, filters, speedlights, bag, and all kinds of stuff for $600 or so. But, I'm really scared buying one like that without a warranty of some kind. Sorry, I got off topic.
Naturally, I would recommend the kind I have but someone else would as well. There are many good new cameras for under $1,000, including a lens, and possibly some other stuff, but the deal you quoted sounds fishy to me. I am not a fan of CL, having been nearly duped several times.

Just a good, new camera body will cost in the neighborhood of $600 without any lens. Each new cheap lens should cost between $150 and $200. A good new speedlight will cost $550. You might need a polarizing filter, but expect to pay around $100 for a new circular polarizer. Yea, you might want a bag but it's not necessary. A good tripod can cost quite a bit, so consider your budget in all purchases. I suggest that you set out a realistic budget for photographic stuff and just save up while you are doing the research.

Sounds like I need to save up between $1,500 and $2,000. That is actually a blessing in disguise. This will give me plenty of time to learn all of the basic fundamentals of photography with my digital. And I have found that people on this site are very helpful so far and the knowledge on here is invaluable. I'm so glad that I found this site while pursuing photography. So far, models don't seem hard to find. I ran a couple of ads and got quite a few responses. Looks like I have a lot of practice ahead of me but you know what? I am loving every minute of it and so far, it's been a blast.

actually Fuji Finepix S2950 is good enough, it has all function like any nikon DSLR. And for me, i prefer take a shoot in Apperture mode or Shutter Mode. For me manual mode is too much for me for this time, i do the A or S mode for now. if i were shooting landscape with long exposure time then i use manual. but thats for me. :wink:

You could really,really use a BIG reflector....and by that I mean one that is the size of a standard door, or in fact, two doors. Something BIG. Like a bright-white queen bedsheet stretched on a lightweight frame. Not some dinky little round reflector which will want to roll on the ground and flop over....no...something BIG, and either square or rectangular, so it has one,whole,entire edge FLAT on the ground, so it STAYS PUT.

I am shooting digital at this point. No DSLR, yet. Its a Fuji Finepix S2950. With any luck, I will have a DSLR next month. I know it's been a debate on this site as I have read the threads but, I was thinking maybe get good with the little digital camera I have first, then get a DSLR. The compulsion to get one right now is strong. I figure, if I can learn this stuff with a Digital, I can learn it on a more professional grade camera? That said, could you recommend a good starter DSLR that would come in under $1,000? I have scoured CL but I'm really shaky about buying one used from someone. I have seen some fantastic deals on there where they are selling the camera, 2 lenses, filters, speedlights, bag, and all kinds of stuff for $600 or so. But, I'm really scared buying one like that without a warranty of some kind. Sorry, I got off topic.
Buying used can save you a lot of money...but there is always the risk. I think it's more about finding a seller that is trustworthy, or just taking the risk. If you get a good enough deal, keep in mind that if something is wrong, they can usually be repaired. It's like buying a cheap used car...knowing that you may have to put some money into repairs.

I'd recommend just about any DSLR from Canon or Nikon. A new, entry level camera and lens could be found for $600. That would certainly be enough to learn on, and even to grow with. And when you're ready, you can add new lenses, flashes, and/or upgrade the body.

I am shooting digital at this point. No DSLR, yet. Its a Fuji Finepix S2950. With any luck, I will have a DSLR next month. I know it's been a debate on this site as I have read the threads but, I was thinking maybe get good with the little digital camera I have first, then get a DSLR. The compulsion to get one right now is strong. I figure, if I can learn this stuff with a Digital, I can learn it on a more professional grade camera? That said, could you recommend a good starter DSLR that would come in under $1,000? I have scoured CL but I'm really shaky about buying one used from someone. I have seen some fantastic deals on there where they are selling the camera, 2 lenses, filters, speedlights, bag, and all kinds of stuff for $600 or so. But, I'm really scared buying one like that without a warranty of some kind. Sorry, I got off topic.
Buying used can save you a lot of money...but there is always the risk. I think it's more about finding a seller that is trustworthy, or just taking the risk. If you get a good enough deal, keep in mind that if something is wrong, they can usually be repaired. It's like buying a cheap used car...knowing that you may have to put some money into repairs.

I'd recommend just about any DSLR from Canon or Nikon. A new, entry level camera and lens could be found for $600. That would certainly be enough to learn on, and even to grow with. And when you're ready, you can add new lenses, flashes, and/or upgrade the body.

^^^ What he said.

Also - entry level cameras can do a LOT. Unless you go pro - there may not be a need to upgrade until there's something your camera physically cannot do.

I started out on canon because my dad had a canon.. so I got access to some lenses that most people normally wouldn't start out being able to use. That's the reason I went canon. Any canon or nikon entry level will be good for you. My friend has an entry level nikon which she loves, I think it has more beginner settings (landscapes, fireworks.. etc) that might make learning the basics on a camera easier.. however she also got very dependent on the auto modes and is having difficulty fully learning about ISO, Shutter speed, and Aperature due to all the modes.. another thing to consider.

Most reactions

Back