More portraits for C&C

I don't do portraits so take my advice with a grain o' salt.

The lighting looks a little flat, especially in the first one. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that her clothes are of a similar subdues tone as the background? (talking out my @ss :lmao:)

I will say she is absolutely gorgeous! Her hair is fantastic.

lyonsroar said:
The lighting looks a little flat, especially in the first one.

Haha do you mind explaining that a little more?

lyonsroar said:
The lighting looks a little flat, especially in the first one.

Haha do you mind explaining that a little more?

It is difficult to decribe how something looks... ummm. I think there is a general lack of contrast. The background and foreground colors are too similar. They are both subdued kind of faded colors. Maybe it's not the lighting but a general lack of POP? IDK, like I said I don't do portraits...

I don't like the cut off at the knee. I think it should either be full portrait or cut off higher - for example, in the first photo, just below her fingers and in the second one below the hem of the model's shorts.

There are quite a lot of shades in the background and the model is wearing three different colours which makes for a busy photo and perhaps the model blends a bit into the background?

You chose a pretty model, the lighting looks fine on my screen and the setting is very pretty :thumbup:

I think the 1st one, the most distracting thing is the tree behind her. The background in both pictures has those sunflowers in them right where her head and hair that's distracting to the focus on her face. Did you take them while standing? I think you need to get on the knee and take those shots lower. She's beautiful though, and the lighting is fine. Just the background is so busy that what lyonsroar saying it makes the picture looks flat.

The backgrounds are not blurred enough and are fighting for attention creating the effect there's no "pop" when in fact if you view closely there is good separation. That yellow line just bugs me.
I read KmH state earlier, "The eyes are the window to the soul. Make sure the eye sockets have enough light, and that your portrait subjects are well separated from the background, light wise (subject brighter than the background). "
I do like them though. Good model.

In a portrait of this nature, - showing a portion of the leg(s) is a waste. It would be better more closely cropped, and yes, if you could have shot at f1.4 or f2.8 there would be more bokeh.

Stronger key lighting would help immensely. You really need to make the subject pop from the background, slightly underexposing the background can help with this, or just popping the strobe one stop higher as well.

As for the cropping, I agree with the others. Removing some leg would help focus the photo more on her eyes and smile.

So more bokeh to dismay the distracting background, Shorter crops, and different clothes? Huhh. Was not expecting. Thanks everyone for the input!

Yeah the first thing i noticed in the second picture wasnt the person but the flowers. Its funny how you like photography but you also need to throw in a little fashion in there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back