snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to another location today and tried some metering tricks from Byran Peterson's book. Never seems to work.......... all were underexposed and brought up in LR. It was the Big Brother Sky tip where I raised camera to 30 degrees or so and metered off blue sky. Recomposed shots and meter shows underexposed, and they were. ???

Treasure Lake - Wichita Mountains by The Oklahoma Kid, on Flickr

these aren't the originals right? How many stops up did they need?

these aren't the originals right? How many stops up did they need?
No, those are after a little PP. They all needed anywhere from 0.75 to 1.75 or so!

ETA: They looked really good on the camera review. Raw. But after importing into LR5 they were way dark.

You have one of the few Canon cameras that is not "color blind". The idea that a modern, color-sensing, distance-aware, color-evaluating camera is going to "think" that azure blue that's 6 EV brighter than the land below is "18% gray" is wayyyyyyy outdated.

A former forum pal I had about four years back bought himself a Nikon D300 when it first came out; it was his first-ever d-slr, and he used his old-fashioned long-honed, film-era "modified Zone system" of offsetting the meter readings, and he claimed the D300 was "all over the place" and that the metering was "Unreliable as hell", and so he had to ,"bracket like crazy all the time."

I told him to STOP trying to second guess the camera, and let the RGB metering and the distance-aware, zillion-actual-pictures-analyzed algorithms handle the metering...guess what...he was AMAZED at how well the camera could as he put it "nail" tricky metering once he stopped treating it like a dumb, color-blind, brain-dead 18% reflecting light meter.

Thanks Derrel! I replied to PM. I knew I was doing pretty okay on my own before reading through the book and getting MORE confused!! LOL!!

Most reactions

Back