More questions on first SLR purchase...

jbeanv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've pretty much settled on getting a D60 for my first SLR. Best Buy has a package where you get the body, 18-55mm and a VR 55-200mm for $750. Do I need both lenses to start?

Mostly taking portraits of my son, and outside/nature photography. Should I just go with the camera and 18-55?

Help! Thanks!

Edit...they have similar packages w/lens that don't have VR...is it worth spending extra for it?

I've pretty much settled on getting a D60 for my first SLR. Best Buy has a package where you get the body, 18-55mm and a VR 55-200mm for $750. Do I need both lenses to start?
No, you don't need both lenses to start with, but it's a good combination to start with.
Mostly taking portraits of my son, and outside/nature photography. Should I just go with the camera and 18-55?
If you're going to do nature photography you might miss the extra focal length the 55-200mm would give you.
Edit...they have similar packages w/lens that don't have VR...is it worth spending extra for it?
VR may not be too useful on the 18-55mm but it will definitely be worth it on the 55-200mm...unless you plan to carry your tripod with you all over the place.

Ditto the above. But hell, go with VR on the wide-angle too. I sometimes miss IS (Canon's equivalent of VR) on my 50mm f/1.4, but only when I need long DoF in lower light conditions (with no tripod). Boosting the ISO is usually my answer to the problem, but I'd much prefer to avoid that when I can.

I had that setup and it's pretty versatile. I would opt for the VR version of the 18-55 just because it's a slow lens in low light so the VR does come in handy then. Plus, it's still an inexpensive even brand new.

PS: I bought mine at BB in February for $699, $750 isn't a good deal considering you're going to pay tax. Most good online dealers have it for $700 or less with both lenses (Amazon, Adorama, B&H). Plus I sold mine after two months use with only the 18-55 lens for $550, which was a pretty big loss. Something to consider if there's even a slight chance you'll want to upgrade.

Thanks for the input, I feel much more justified in getting both now :thumbup:

I'll also shop around a little more for price and look into the VR for the 18-55. Trying to do all my research tho it's tempting to just run out and get it!

Thanks again!

I got that same package at Costco a month ago for $699

I got that same package at Costco a month ago for $699

This would be your very best option as they have a 90 day, no questions asked returned policy on electronics. I'm all about supporting camera shops rather than the megastores, but having 3 months to try it out is an absolute plus.

Thanks again everyone!

I just ordered from Ritz. Both VR lenes, and a bag for 699 plus i found a promo code online so I ended up paying 665, shipping was included. So cheaper then BB plus both VR lenses. Return policy isn't as good (only 10 days) but I can deal.

Now I just have to wait "patiently" for the delivery! :lol:

Congrats for the purchase. I still remember the feelings of when I got my first DSLR ...... and need to wait for battery to be charged up ..

have fun! i was going to recommend going for the setup you ended up getting anyway :D

i had those same lenses on a D50 for 4 years before i felt the need to upgrade.

Congrats! You'll be having a really good time with it!

Bought ours as a gift for my wife, so I got a chance to charge the battery before giving it to her. She didn't have to wait! :) But yes, that can be a looong two hours.

i agree, enjoy it,its great!
clear.gif

If I was interested in wildlife photos I would certainly get the VR 55-200. It's also great for getting close-ups of the kids without having to get in their face.

A comment on the 18-55 being VR or not. For me, VR--or the equivalent--is useful on wider lenses when the subject is still and the lighting is poor. For me, that's interiors of old churches, some street scenes in the evening, and pictures of my 5-year old nephew playing with his cars in the house.

Most reactions

Back