More total noob street pics!

Psycho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's some more street pics I took on the same day. So they probably have the same focusing problems pointed out before. I decided to but these in another thread so they don't get jumbled up.

(1, 4 and 5 were taken at another day though)

I put some description to explain what I was thinking of. Harsh C&C much appreciated.

1. Bubble dodging
1dzrdd.jpg

2. Train was driving past me. I'm trying to isolate the boy looking out
v3nktz.jpg

3. Am worried the background is too busy, but they were both wearing head to toe black so they still kind of pop out a bit in my opinion.
jb7k1z.jpg

4. Another bubble fun pic
4hf7t3.jpg

5. Boring shot, but I kind of like it's "peacefulness"
71inp5.jpg

6. Was gonna crop this to just the boy jumping but then the kid in stripes gets too distracting
103ud5h.jpg

7. Fight Fight Fight
xauluw.jpg

8. There was a much better shot of this a few seconds ago, the two dogs were staring after another dog that past them by. Missed that shot damn.
1zx5eug.jpg

9. She looked very tired
2z9flu0.jpg

10. I thought the signs kind of matched the dogs expression so I kept them in :lol:
whfn9.jpg

The last one... it's soft, poorly composed (IMO), and tilted, but I like it the best because there is a relationship between the dog and the signs, which as you pointed out, kind of describe what the dog is expressing. It's the pic with the greatest potential in my humble opinion. Maybe get lower to the ground, straighten up, and try not to chop the signs.

The others are ok, but there really isn't any feeling of "depth" or dimension to them... nothing that makes me want to look at them for more than a few seconds.

I like the lady with the ice cream cone, only nitpick I have is that you cut off her arm half way.

Fun getting out there isn't it!

Great feedback :)

@beni_hung, thanks, I was considering shifting the framing a bit more to the left and up a bit to being their heads closer to center, but then I would lose their bodies and may unbalance the frame.

@bazooka, I agree with what you've said. I was hesitant to get down low and closer as I was in a busy market place at the time. But I think if I did that it would make a much better picture. I'll have to be bolder next time. I also agree that many of the pics aren't very engaging. I'm currently trying to find out what I can do to improve this technique wise, or perhaps I am just picking boring subjects...

@PhotoXopher, now that you mention it, it would look better with her arm in shot. I didn't notice that. I actually had her entirely in shot and had cropped that off.

The last one with the signs is just funny. I think #6 with the boy jumping had potential, but like you said the kid in the background and the one to the left is distracting. BTY, don't know if you've checked out the photo themes but there is whole thread on street photography, good stuff in there.:thumbup:

I enjoyed them all.
If only the last one was a bit sharper.`
Great shots overall! :)

I hear ya on the "being bold" part. I think it takes practice, but has great potential to improve photos.

i also like them all, especially the funny signs !

Hi there,

4, 5, 6 all nice shots for me..

Bubble - great timing. Love the expression on the girls face plus the background is not too busy, keeping all your focus on the point of interest within the frame

Phone shot - this guy looks submerged in modern technology. Could make an interesting series - people engrossed in their cell phones - maybe i'll start this up on my own website ;)

Kid jumping - this is my favorite....

daithi

#2 would have been great if you'd been able to get the kid in focus. But the idea was great, anyway.

I like #7 but the white on the gulls seems blown.

I also like #8 and #9, but the white in the lady's hair is too bright.

#4 & #6 are really nice shots.

You certainly have a good eye for this stuff.

Thanks all for the kind feedback

@JAFO28: I had a look at that theme forum, there are alot of interesting street photos there, as well as some cool tips :). I also found that theres a certain way to hold your camera and a certain way to dress thats working for me at the moment :)

@GA_mayne: Yeah it appears focusing is my main problem I have to work on. Next time I'm gonna try to spot focus my subjects all the time. I may miss certain photos that require really quick focusing though. I might try to program my function button and see if theres a way to quickly change modes with one button.

@daithi33: Would you believe I managed to get a bubble half popping too, but aside from that, the photo wasn't very interesting.. I hate that coiled up rope behind her in that shot.. If only it wasn't there... hmmm.. :)

@Lazy Photographer: Now that you mention it, yeah the highlights have been blown out :(. I have pushed the levels a bit but I'm usually careful to preserve the highlights, I think I may have over exposed the shot (though I haven't checked the RAW). I might try spot metering the highlights of the subject from now on. If I did it with the gulls, I would have probably darkened the background which would have been better anyway. Lesson learned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back