More Traditional Arch

deeky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Admittedly, this is not at all what I had in mind when I took the picture. But not getting that, I kept playing with it. I have to say I think it has turned into one of my favorite shots ever. It was actually shot just before sunset and processed from there.

IMG_1144a1 by breckmiller, on Flickr

Interesting angle. I like it. Nice job. :thumbup:

Interesting light. Apart from that this shot doesn't have for me the same impact as the picture you presented previously. The landscape is too cluttered with silhouettes of trees. (There is nothing anyone can do about it.)

Like it!
Think I would crop the lower part so you don't have these water reflections.
So the lower part is just a black siluett.

Very nice capture of a very well known object. The lighting is beautiful and the shadows very interesting and appealing. Really well done. I'm surprised, frankly. Usually captures of common things are pretty boring, IMO.

Thanks for all of the comments. I had debated about cropping the bottom. It would also get rid of some of the stuff on the left. I'm sure I'll be back to playing with it.

I like the lighting here a lot. I would like to see two things to see if they help the image, 1. crop the reflections out. 2. Darken under the trees on the left to all black. Both individually and together. Not sure if it will help or not but just an idea. I lived in STL for several years and appreciate images of the arch.

Sorry, not separately, but here is an edit per request. Cropped in on the bottom and left, then darkened a few left over light areas.

IMG_1144a2 by breckmiller, on Flickr

Now I almost feel like the bottom is too heavy with the solid black. Thoughts?

The inside of the arch cuts through that black section so smoothly... awesome shot! If I could say anything, I wouldn't have as much black along the bottom. But, then the proportions might seem weird. I think it could look even bolder and taller with a 'shorter' foreground.

Wow thanks for doing the edit. I am with you I like the original better. Sometimes just have to see if it works. The water gives foreground and depth to the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back