Morning at the lake for C&C

c_pass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I felt ashamed of myself for letting sooooo much time go past without taking shots, so I got up this morning and headed out...

Here are a few from morning at the lake for C&C.... I shot these in raw and did some post editing to them... Let me know any thoughts.. Thanks

Thanks

Image 1
bcf55eea.jpg

35mm Lens Prime
Aperture: F9
Shutter Speed: 100
ISO: 500

Image 2
5ca40b55.jpg

55-300mm Lens

Focal Length: 220
Aperture: F5.6
Shutter Speed: 160
ISO: 100

Image 3
b1af3bf8.jpg

55-300mm Lens
Focal Length: 280
Aperture: F5.6
Shutter Speed: 160
ISO: 100

I would have upped the ISO a bit in order to get the shutter speed higher. At that focal length, it's hard to get clear photos with a shutter speed of 160.

I do like the second photo a lot, though. he contrasting colors and murky background work well together to isolate the bird.

Number 3 suffers from motion blur.

rexbobcat said:
I would have upped the ISO a bit in order to get the shutter speed higher. At that focal length, it's hard to get clear photos with a shutter speed of 160.

I do like the second photo a lot, though. he contrasting colors and murky background work well together to isolate the bird.

Number 3 suffers from motion blur.

Thanks Rexbobcat... I defitnitly will try to bump up the ISO the next I'm in that situation...

I knew #3 is blurry,but posted anyway...I wish I captured it better!!! Lol

Nikon D5100

i love the contract of the bench and the background in #1! & i like that its so simple & calm. I'm not a huge fan of the water in #2 or #3, just seems really busy... but just my opinion. I think you captured the bird really well tho!

JessicaLynn said:
i love the contract of the bench and the background in #1! & i like that its so simple & calm. I'm not a huge fan of the water in #2 or #3, just seems really busy... but just my opinion. I think you captured the bird really well tho!

Thanks for your thoughts JessicaLynn!
For #2 & #3 do u feel the water should have been still?

Nikon D5100

#2 is my favorite. Did you sharpen it? It seems a bit 'off' but I am too inexperienced to know just what...my guess would be over sharp. I personally don't really like the contrast of #1, maybe in black and white though. JMO :)

The rule of thumb for a sharp picture free from the effect of camera shake is to have a shutter speed that is at least as fast as 1 divided by twice the focal length of the lens on a cropped sensor body. If your focal length 280, your shutter speed must be 1/560th of a sec. To achieve this, you have to boost your ISO to about 400 or higher. Dont be afraid of a high ISO number. Nic Software DFine or Topaz DNoise can clean it up. I have concert photos done at ISO 1600 and it was still clean after using Nic or Topaz

I think #2 i would've liked it to be more calm in the background. #3 i enjoy the ripples in the water but i guess i would've liked the whole picture to be crystal clear.

JessicaLynn said:

Thanks for your thoughts JessicaLynn!
For #2 & #3 do u feel the water should have been still?

Nikon D5100

paigew said:
#2 is my favorite. Did you sharpen it? It seems a bit 'off' but I am too inexperienced to know just what...my guess would be over sharp. I personally don't really like the contrast of #1, maybe in black and white though. JMO :)

Thanks for the thoughts ... I did sharpen #2

Nikon D5100

Stryker said:
The rule of thumb for a sharp picture free from the effect of camera shake is to have a shutter speed that is at least as fast as 1 divided by twice the focal length of the lens on a cropped sensor body. If your focal length 280, your shutter speed must be 1/560th of a sec. To achieve this, you have to boost your ISO to about 400 or higher. Dont be afraid of a high ISO number. Nic Software DFine or Topaz DNoise can clean it up. I have concert photos done at ISO 1600 and it was still clean after using Nic or Topaz

Thanks alot!! I've have always tried not to use a high ISO if possible, but your comment makes sense... I will definitely try that the next time I'm in that situation..
Thanks again

Nikon D5100

JessicaLynn said:
I think #2 i would've liked it to be more calm in the background. #3 i enjoy the ripples in the water but i guess i would've liked the whole picture to be crystal clear.

Cool thanks!!!

Nikon D5100

Most reactions

Back