Morning at the track

chroix

In Latin it's "spikius conius thingonius"
Reaction score
Been a while... shot this the other morning in Lexington, KY. I like the colors, lines and composition as well as the subject entering the barn but am looking for some advice on improving it....
00.jpg

There is a lot more to a picture than colour and composition.
What is it you are trying to show? What are you trying to tell us about the scene?
You need to think about what it is about the scene that made you want to photograph it - and try and show that in the picture.
There is nothing to focus our attention - and I keep looking at the guy in the green shirt (centre left side) standing on the roof.

I would maybe go for a retake, move a little closer or a little farther away. It feels kinda like a snapshot to me, maybe find specific spot of focus in the pic and shoot from there. Nice subject though, lots of possibilities.

"There is a lot more to a picture than colour and composition."

Color and compostion were what attracted me to this shot and that is what I was trying to show.

I can see how the contrasting colours and shapes were attractive chroix, and could in themselves make a very good picture. You're not a million miles off here at all, but personally I think moving in a little, eliminating the window on the right hand side wall and the smaller shed on the left would be better. Also, maybe moving round to be more directly in front of the barn might help to focus on the triangular roof and the contrasting rectangular doors. I don't really like the way the roofline slides offout the righthand side of the frame. Finally, I think I'd wait until all people were out of the frame, as I think they do distract from the colour and composition aspect you were after.

chroix said:
Color and compostion were what attracted me to this shot and that is what I was trying to show.
Then my comments should be an indication that you haven't succeeded in your intention.
What you have done is to take a picture of a building. The picture is far too 'busy' and takes attention away from what atracted you to the building in the first place.
If you are trying to take a picture that is solely colour and composition then you are talking about producing something that is fundamentally an abstract. You have to approach the subject in this way.
I would suggest a reshoot and explore the visual possibilities some more. Get closer. Get rid of elements that work against what you are trying to do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back