Moss on the Rocks - C&C, Please! (56K Sorry)

AllHailZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, guys. This is my first real attempted photoshoot with a digital camera with a person, and I think it turned out good but could use improvement. I used a 5.0 megapixel Canon PowerShot A530, I have about 60 pictures but I don't know the rules here, so I'm not going to post all of them, just the ones I think are the best, and I'd really appreciate it if you'd critique them, even photoshop them for me to show improvements!

Thanks in advance. In case you're wondering why the title, her last name is Moss. ;) I've also made 5 more in black and white from my 35mm film, which I will scan and make another thread later this evening.

MossBridge2.jpg

MossBridge3.jpg

MossLieTop.jpg

MossLie3.jpg

MossLie2.jpg

MossFingersW3.jpg

MossFingersW2.jpg

MossFingersW.jpg

MossRock4.jpg

MossRock2.jpg

MossRock.jpg

MossFallsBkg.jpg

#13 - Caught this one by pure luck/chance
MossHeadSwing.jpg

MossFingers2.jpg

MossFingers.jpg

MossToeTie.jpg

MossFaceBent.jpg

MossFalls.jpg

MossCedarLookUp.jpg

MossCedarLookUp2.jpg

MossSmile2.jpg

MossHoldHair.jpg

MossChimney.jpg

BONUS PICS!

#24 - The photographer's feet
MossMyFeet.jpg

#25 - This is the one I would like help with in photoshopping...
IMG_1927.jpg

I love the photos great photogenic model, exelent choice of cloths the cloers fit her, and the enviorment well. A couple of the pictures were slightly over exposed, and 14 has a little too much glare but I think its great work. Keep it up.
Wes

Compositions, background etc. are often quite good. But you shot at a bright day, which means harsh light and shadows. So many of the pictures have overexposed shots or are underexposed.
I know it is difficult, I tried it a few days ago myself for the first time (under the same weather conditions)

gr,

Roger

These pictures were taken at 2 in the afternoon - a fairly terrible time to shoot portraits. The sun is overhead making deep harsh shadows so that the shadow areas are underexposed and the sun-lit areas are too bright.

If you can, take your natural light portraits much later in the day so the sun is lower and the light softer.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! What would be a good time, around 5, 6? Or 7?

Any particular picture that jumps out at you? Cropping or improvements? Keep the C&C coming!

I kinda like #3, the light is great! The face doesn't look that sharp though...

Thanks for the feedback, guys! What would be a good time, around 5, 6? Or 7?

Any particular picture that jumps out at you? Cropping or improvements? Keep the C&C coming!

Look closely at your pix.
The most salient feature of the first 5 pictures is that your model has large breasts - that's probably not your main photographic concern.

You need to retake the pictures. Spend more time on the composition. Look at the potential shadows/highlights more. The exact hour isn't as important as the softness of the light.

You need to take pictures, look at them objectively and ask what more would you like out of this.

Don't just throw up a lot of shots and ask for general help. You need to learn to judge more for yourself how to judge yourself.

Okay, that's good advice. I hadn't thought about it that way before with a digital because digitals, well, I've been a bit jaded towards them because they have that point-and-shoot quality, you can't really focus them the way I'd like to (except for the SLRs, unless I'm mistaken.)

I never really realized the potential a digital could have. I'll try and retake them with more time and thought, I was mainly concerned with not annoying her by taking so long to shoot a particular picture.

It's my first attempt at a real photoshoot with a digital, and I thank you for the intelligent advice and helping me realize what was wrong with my pictures the entire time since I was never really satsified with them except for the black and white film I've worked with before.

np
there's nothing inherently wrong with a point and shoot except the ease with which one takes the picture. That tends to make people snap happy.

But you are smarter than that. Make believe its a $3000 slr and set up the shot, manage the light and spend some time looking at the pix. (even use a tripod)

With such attractive model, you should be able to do great things.

Most reactions

Back