Most of my roll ruined! HELP!

cfeldman10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I posted this is the beginner photography section. Thought I should post here as well.

Hey guys. So I recently bought a Canon Rebel EOS 1000 to use for my film photography class.
Today I took two rolls of film to the lab to process for my assignment. My first roll came out pretty nicely. Only one picture didn't turn out.
However, from my second roll, ONLY 6 PICTURES TURNED OUT!
Even though I just started taking stills on film, I have shot films (movies) before, so I am pretty confident with my ability to expose.
Some of the pictures that didn't turn out were taken in a forest. What kills me is that under the same lighting conditions, I had many photos all at f/5.6 with a shutter speed anywhere from 1/90 - 1/1000s. So it couldn't have been that ALL of the photos turned out underexposed!

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? The photos that did turn out are exposed perfectly. Any idea on what went wrong?

what do you mean turned out, really would be more helpful to post a photo .

there are several equipment issues, film advance is not working properly besides the problem with a sticky shutter.

The entire roll was completely underexposed (aside from the last 6 shots taken).
The negatives are just blank.

How is it that the last 6 shots turned out perfectly?

have your camera shutter checked out, as that seems to be an equipment failure

On most cameras, you can open the back to check lens and shutter operation.

In your case, I'm thinking your film wasn't advancing for most of the roll, and then just magically started to.

On most cameras, you can open the back to check lens and shutter operation.

In your case, I'm thinking your film wasn't advancing for most of the roll, and then just magically started to.

Can't be. If that were the case, only the first 6 photos would have anything on them, not the last 6 photos.

Thanks for your help everyone! I showed the negatives to my teacher today (all empty except for like 1/5 of a frame). She said she definitely thinks its a shutter issue.
I bought my camera off the Henrey's ebay store. I called them and explained the issue, their response was "Would you like a replacement or a refund?"
haha that was easy.

I currently have the Canon rebel eos 1000. They can replace it with the eos 500 model. Should I go for it?

What does the the strip of negatives look like on the second roll, are the first shots that failed light or dark ?

Light might have 'seeped' into your darkroom. Happened to me first time.

also if you didnt roll the film onto the spool correctly it will mess up the film if it is touching other film on the spool when being developed.

Most reactions

Back