Most Overrated Bands

terri said:
Well, if you want to try to learn and appreciate Brian Wilson, you must begin by forgetting the studio-augmented "California surf" stuff. It was a great schtick, and sold a ton of albums, and they wrote lyrics that played into that. (For the most part. Then you come across things like "In My Room" and "I Guess I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" and he'll make you cry.) With a quality set of speakers and good balance, listen to Pet Sounds ("listen....listen....listen...") ;) and pay attention to track #5. Remember that.

Then go get Smile, and know that, at its soul, this is NOT a pop record. Not at all. Ok, it has "Good Vibrations" on it....but it's not a pop record. Read the liner notes. If you still hate it after 4-5 listens, then you just don't care for BW's style, and there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

I've been totally fortunate, I believe, to have heard both of these albums played live, from start to finish. It's an amazing thing to watch as well as hear. :thumbup:

And sure, Def Leppard may sell out tour dates....my comment was in reference to the enduring strength of an artist who was finally releasing an album that "almost" got released some 35 years ago. It's, um, kinda different. :mrgreen:

Are we talking about "Smile" or "Simley Smile/Wild Honey"?

Chopin is gret, he captures such a mood you can't imagine but since all's personal opinion I say IMO Mozart is overrated. To be honest I can't say that, I'm no musician and can only tell you that his music doesn't speak to me but he's genius, no doubt (btw. the same counts for photography and all arts.)
good night, clean fight

I also think it is a matter of opinion. I also agree with the overrated/overplayed comments.
Neil Young and Nirvana are the only ones that come to mind that I feel might be overrated.

Chiller said:
I also think it is a matter of opinion. I also agree with the overrated/overplayed comments.
Neil Young and Nirvana are the only ones that come to mind that I feel might be overrated.

I agree with Neil Young..

That's funny. I think just in general conversation, Neil Young is the one guy I have to defend more often. I am a big Neil Young fan, and know that just not everybody gets him.

It's kind of like Bruce Springsteen. I have tried and tried to figure out why people just love this guy and I don't get it.

There's no overrated bands that I can personally think of. One solo artist I can think of that's completely overrated is Tupac. But I guess that's a different story lol.

We had a discussion today at work about Neil Young. I, for one, think he's great. If you ever get the chance to see him live, don't pass it up. I love to watch a performer who truly honestly loves what he does. Neil Young loses himself in his music. I'm pretty sure if no one stopped him, he'd play for 8 hours at a concert. Paul Simon is that way too, but he involves the audience more. Young forgets that there's a world outside of him. It's great to watch.

KevinR said:
That's funny. I think just in general conversation, Neil Young is the one guy I have to defend more often. I am a big Neil Young fan, and know that just not everybody gets him.

It's kind of like Bruce Springsteen. I have tried and tried to figure out why people just love this guy and I don't get it.
:lol: Took the words right outta my mouth. On both counts here. But I suppose I just don't "get" Bruce Springsteen the way others don't "get" Neil Young.

KevinR said:
Not that I'm a fan, they really don't bug me as compared to some of the other bands doing similiar stuff. Hate Fall Out Boy, even though the name is taken from the Simpsons. Right now, the EMO/Rock that I seem to like alot is Artic Monkeys.

agree, but PATD has a few songs i listen to....

arctic monkeys = amazingness....

i think most classic rock is over rated to an extent, but i still like it.....well mos of it atleast

nitefly said:
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i just had to had one to the list..

acdc.jpg

Most overrated band EVER.

Acca Dacca don't do much for me, admittedly, but try telling the massive legion of fans, past and present (when was the last time they released an album? Yet the fans are still in strong force) that they're overated.

Considering they started out as a pub band, in a pretty rough scene (fights, bottles thrown around regularly etc), I think they did pretty well. Must be some reason they did so well....

Garth Brooks. Brooks and Dunn. Most of the newer country groups. All of them have good songs, no doubt (Garth and B&D have some GREAT ones) but I don't see them as rating the attention they receive. It's utter blasphemy, but George Strait's music over the last five to ten years has disappointed me terribly. He's still one of my all time favorites, but he's in danger of getting knocked off the top block.

Matter of fact, there's only one recent CD, country or otherwise, where I can recall no songs that weren't good. That's Brad Paisley's Time Well Wasted. By the time I got to it, his duet with Dolly Parton When I Get Where I'm Going had been way overplayed on the radio (as all songs are) and lost its charm for me, but it's not a bad song.

I love Audioslave, Linkin Park, Nickleback, Staind, 3 Doors Down, Creed, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence, and dozens of others. And I really like a lot of classic rock. However, it's not because the bulk of the music is good. Usually, they have one or two songs on a CD that really appeal to me for one reason or another, and the rest are mediocre or worse. Nickleback got it best in recent memory, with a total of 4.1 songs that I really, positively loved. (Rockstar gets 0.1 because of the Quesadilla line).

Anyway... ::rocks out to Counting Crows::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back