Mother and son

Deadeye008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hamblinphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am begining to LOVE my canon 50mm 1.8 II lens. I took this shot this morning. Please let me know what you think and how I can make it better. Thanks.
IMG_6351copy.jpg

Make it better? I think its perfect just the way it is. If anything a border might be nice.

The warm tones work very well, but there isn't quite enough shadow detail IMO.

I don't mean to be rude but...

Shadow detail is a concept you should understand in any photographic venture. At risk of sounding unhelpful, I'm going to suggest you try google, any good tutorial on exposure, or if necessary, start a thread in the beginner's forum asking about shadow detail.

Shadow detail is a concept you should understand in any photographic venture. At risk of sounding unhelpful, I'm going to suggest you try google, any good tutorial on exposure, or if necessary, start a thread in the beginner's forum asking about shadow detail.
How about this?
IMG_6351copyb.jpg

When shooting people you need to get the eyes and unfortunately you have black holes instead of eyes for the woman.

skieur

Most important shadow detail that's been lost is around her right eye. Some selective dodging and a few passes zoomed-in with 25% blur around the eyelids helps smooth things out a bit. Mind you, I did this in about two minutes...but it should give you an idea of what I mean. Exposing about half a stop more in the original shot would have gotten you closer without having to post process much.

It's a beautiful shot, you got it when you could...I for one understand the quick shots, that are sometimes necessary. i promise you the mother would buy it! If shadows are your only working point...or even a little more you are doing great.
That's what a forum is for, especially a critque forum..you came here for advice and hopefully that's what you got...or are getting...if not...apologies. You know what you need to work on, but don't feel like it isn't a good shot, it IS!

Most important shadow detail that's been lost is around her right eye. Some selective dodging and a few passes zoomed-in with 25% blur around the eyelids helps smooth things out a bit. Mind you, I did this in about two minutes...but it should give you an idea of what I mean. Exposing about half a stop more in the original shot would have gotten you closer without having to post process much.

http://imageshack.us
This is the kind of ADVICE, she needs...she said she doesn't know much about it...she admits that...least we can do is help her.

?

Did I do something right or wrong?

This is a little crude...I know you didn't mean it that way...she just needs our help...yalls help (I'm a beginner also)...that's why she's here...looking for this info....that's prob. stored in your head..:)

Okay I've seriously had enough of this. I don't know what kind of lollypop-carrying, potpouri-farting, rainbow-making care-bears you've been hanging out with in the photography world, but THAT WAS NOT CRUDE.

Deadeye, I think you did a really nice job. All I can say is that if you dont have the original in RAW, play around with Shadow/Highlight mask in PS on the high res JPEG and see what you come up with. I like the focus on the baby's face though. Very nice. :thumbup:

NJ

Most reactions

Back