Motion Photography - Vehicular Awesomness

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took a whack at some of that motion blur stuff... I know it's not perfect, but I think it's a good start. I'm hoping for some feedback, and perhaps some tips from those experienced with motion blur.

$DSC_0033-2.JPG

$DSC_0040-2.JPG

Thanks!

This is actually referred to as 'panning', and it does take a bit of practice. The basic technique is to follow the subject being panned and click at the half-way point. It's a lot like a golf-swing, approach smoothly, contact, and continue to follow so that it's one smooth motion. I think your shutter-speed may have been a bit high too, try 1/30 and 1/15. Basically, just keep shooting 'til you get it. Once it clicks, it clicks.

Panning it's called. There are some good video guides on Youtube.

Your shutter speed needs to be slower, experiment with that. Also it looks as though you are zoomed in too much or too close to your subject. The whole car needs to be in focus not just the front emblem, also having some background in the image gives more effect. The perfect example is on the front page of this forum, month of May competition winner - The Infamous Biker

This is actually referred to as 'panning', and it does take a bit of practice. The basic technique is to follow the subject being panned and click at the half-way point. It's a lot like a golf-swing, approach smoothly, contact, and continue to follow so that it's one smooth motion. I think your shutter-speed may have been a bit high too, try 1/30 and 1/15. Basically, just keep shooting 'til you get it. Once it clicks, it clicks.

Right, panning. Slower you think? I didn't want to be too slow so that I was suffering from camera shake when pressing the shutter. Do you think it will make that big a difference?

Panning it's called. There are some good video guides on Youtube.

Your shutter speed needs to be slower, experiment with that. Also it looks as though you are zoomed in too much or too close to your subject. The whole car needs to be in focus not just the front emblem, also having some background in the image gives more effect. The perfect example is on the front page of this forum, month of May competition winner - The Infamous Biker

I will try a slower speed, but I think having the entire car or not is a matter of preference/taste, not anything technical, so I'll shoot how I see fit. Thanks for your input.

What John said. It does take a bit of practice. I am still trying to get it down but I feel like I am getting a good feel on it. Then as ndancona said youtube has some pretty good videos on the topic. The key is triggering the shutter at the right moment and then following through with the motion of the subject.

Most reactions

Back