Motion shots(sports)

dolfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been trying to take shots of action only to have most shot come out blurry, I am using the sport mode on my camera, wondering what mode or whatever option I should be choosing for these shot, I really don't know how to change the shutter speed, I just tryed shots of my Greyhound running and 1 out of like 6 photos turned out, any help would be greatful..

Bob

put it in shutter priority mode ..your camera should have a dial on it to change the shutter speed..use higher shutter speeds to get less blur

I have been trying to take shots of action only to have most shot come out blurry, I am using the sport mode on my camera, wondering what mode or whatever option I should be choosing for these shot, I really don't know how to change the shutter speed, I just tryed shots of my Greyhound running and 1 out of like 6 photos turned out, any help would be greatful..

Bob

I'm sure this is covered thoroughly in your manual. I've never shot Greyhound racing, but I'm guessing you'll want at least 1/250 sec, and if you can, probably closer to 1/500 to completely freeze the action. This may well mean boosting your ISO, especially on a cloudy/dull day.

Yep your goindg to have to get your shutter speed up a good bit and develope a good panning technique. Rule of thumb is 1/100th of a sec. for every 100mm of focal + a bit more even with IS.

I generally set up in TV mode and boost the ISO accordingly. A fast lens is a big plus here. Here are some shots with settings.
The first is a Field Trial English Setter. These dogs are bred to run big and run fast( not quite as fast a Greyhound I had a chance to put a Canon 2x TC on my Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM and was surprised how well it worked
PineIsland076copy.jpg

Canon 40D Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM + 2X TC
400 mm @ F/5.6
ISO 400 1/600th sec

PineIsland010.jpg

PineIsland013.jpg

Both of these
Canon 40D Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM
200mm @ f/8.0
1/250th sec ISO 400

You can see how the rule of thumb works.
Whenever possible use the highest shutter speed you can after deciding on your Av and Tv values that you want to use

Thankyou for the replys, I will try bumping my shutter speed up when trying to photo motion shots and let ya know how it works out, I am new really to the camera world, or atleast to the non point and shoot camera world..

Bob

Here are a few shots I tryed with the shutter speed bumped up, it was in a dark wooded area, so photos are somewhat dark and the rider(grandson) has some redeye in them but I think I improved from any previous attempt I made, what do you think..

Bob

P8081974.jpg

P8081978copy.jpg

P8081944.jpg

Yep your goindg to have to get your shutter speed up a good bit and develope a good panning technique. Rule of thumb is 1/100th of a sec. for every 100mm of focal + a bit more even with IS.

I generally set up in TV mode and boost the ISO accordingly. A fast lens is a big plus here. Here are some shots with settings.

Why TV mode?

Is there an advantage over Manual?

I have shot a lot of indoor sports and tend to use manual, is this an advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks

Why TV mode?

Is there an advantage over Manual?

I have shot a lot of indoor sports and tend to use manual, is this an advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks

It adjust the aperture accordinly so you get shots exposed to the camera's meter instead of having to adjust aperture and shutter speed while trying to take pictures of a fast moving subject.

Say you're panning on a white car then a black car.

Personal preference really, but ultimately quicker in certain situations.

It adjust the aperture accordinly so you get shots exposed to the camera's meter instead of having to adjust aperture and shutter speed while trying to take pictures of a fast moving subject.

Say you're panning on a white car then a black car.

Personal preference really, but ultimately quicker in certain situations.

I think I understand. When I shoot indoors where the light is pretty consistant then manual works fine, but if I was shooting outdoors action shots with changing light conditions, than TV can work better.

In TV mode you set the desired, fixed, shutter speed and the camera will adjust the ISO and aperature, correct?

Thanks

I think I understand. When I shoot indoors where the light is pretty consistant then manual works fine, but if I was shooting outdoors action shots with changing light conditions, than TV can work better.

In TV mode you set the desired, fixed, shutter speed and the camera will adjust the ISO and aperature, correct?

Thanks

Just the aperture. A camera that has an auto ISO feature may adjust that as well, but I don't think that it would adjust when it's in one of the manual modes. I could be wrong, but none of the cameras I've shot with have auto ISO.

What is TV mode?? Newbie<<<<<

Bob

What is TV mode?? Newbie<<<<<

Bob

Time value. You set the desired shutter speed and the camera will adjust the aperature to get the correct exposer

Just the aperture. A camera that has an auto ISO feature may adjust that as well, but I don't think that it would adjust when it's in one of the manual modes. I could be wrong, but none of the cameras I've shot with have auto ISO.

Thanks I'm going to go back and read my owners manual and see if also adjusts the ISO.

Most reactions

Back