jeph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
2962969240_b87e87dddc.jpg

2962121537_3f4b2f1b3b.jpg

2962967098_45315b7099.jpg

First photos submitted for review. I am really proud of them so if you don't like um don't tell me. :lol: But really, is there something I should do differently or better? It was my first attempt at Dodge and Burn in Aperture 2. Thanks for looking

Dude those are amazing. How'd you manage the lighting!?

The third picture I feel should be toward the left of the frame or centered, but other than that.. HOLY ****! Nice work.

great pics, if it was my photos, i would do something to make the bike pop just a little more... you kind of loose the tires in the background.. if you could pop them a bit more, could be a little better IMO

Nice pictures, you are right to be proud of them. The lighting sets a nice mood for the shots, but the black on the tires, as noted by chris, and the black details like the mirrors/seats sometimes get a little lost. That would be my only VERY NIT-PICKEY complaint. If you are truly a beginner, you have a wonderful eye for lighting and mood, of which I am extremely jealous.

BTW, people on here are pretty respectful of other peoples feelings, especially for a forum. It is VERY RARE that the people here will come on the beginner forum and say "YOU TOTALLY SUCK", rather they are very welcoming and understanding. That being said, don't ask for it by telling people not to say anything bad about your pictures, every photo could be improved, even over there in the professional gallery. Those people got there cause the took critism in the beginning. I'm shutting up on this topic now, but the moral of my story is that the people around here are nice so don't be shy!

Glad you submitted your shots. They are awesome!

Something to make it pop more like what? I find that in the first and last one when the tires are more... lit? it seems there is a halo around the bike. I don't really know how to make "pop". Well at least with one o.

unfortunatley this is a type of photography i'm not to familar with, but i do know there are car photographers in this forum, i'm sure they will chime in soon to help you make those tires pop

BTW, people on here are pretty respectful of other peoples feelings, especially for a forum. It is VERY RARE that the people here will come on the beginner forum and say "YOU TOTALLY SUCK", rather they are very welcoming and understanding. That being said, don't ask for it by telling people not to say anything bad about your pictures, every photo could be improved, even over there in the professional gallery. Those people got there cause the took critism in the beginning. I'm shutting up on this topic now, but the moral of my story is that the people around here are nice so don't be shy!

Yeah I have been lurking for quite a while and figured I would be quite safe. I guess its just the first time that I have ever submitted something like this before. I really appreciate all and any criticism because I do want to be better. And I put the little smilie guy.

Last edited:
Something to make it pop more like what? I find that in the first and last one when the tires are more... lit? it seems there is a halo around the bike. I don't really know how to make "pop". Well at least with one o.

First off, very nice pics.

As far as some "pop", if you have an additional flash, I would attach it to the back side of the bike, aiming at your background.
Or....set the flash on something behind the bike where it is unseen (or can be edited out) aiming at the bike.
These would act like a backdrop light or hair light, resp., in a portrait. Just a thought.

Excellent pics !! I am not a real expert, but I agree that the tires and seat kind of disappear into the background.
What you could try is to ArmourAll the seat and tires ... even the tread. I know it sounds weird, but it will give a bit of reflection from the overhead illumination and that reflection will give the tire a bit of definition against the dark background. It may also pick up some light from the sides ... You could try a small slaved flash from behind (power turned way down!) .... kind of like lighting a model's hair from behind.
These are excellent BTW... really nice lighting. What did you use?
Really nice!

Excellent pics !! I am not a real expert, but I agree that the tires and seat kind of disappear into the background.
What you could try is to ArmourAll the seat and tires ... even the tread. I know it sounds weird, but it will give a bit of reflection from the overhead illumination and that reflection will give the tire a bit of definition against the dark background. It may also pick up some light from the sides ... You could try a small slaved flash from behind (power turned way down!) .... kind of like lighting a model's hair from behind.
These are excellent BTW... really nice lighting. What did you use?
Really nice!

First of all, I think you nailed this capture. The backlight is the way to go. Whatever you do...DO NOT armour all the seat or tires. It may make for a great picture, but sliding on a slippery seat or most importantly, slick oily tires especially in turns or on water makes for a destroyed bike and probably a trip to the hospital. From one biker to another DON'T DO IT!

Whatever you do...DO NOT armour all the seat or tires. It may make for a great picture, but sliding on a slippery seat or most importantly, slick oily tires especially in turns or on water makes for a destroyed bike and probably a trip to the hospital. From one biker to another DON'T DO IT!

:lol: :thumbup:

I have put armor-all on the sidewalls of my bike tires, but be sure not to get any on the tread.
I have never done the bike seat.

I learned my lesson on this long ago. My grandma used to pay me to clean her car when I was young, and I thought the leather seats looked really nice & shiny with some armor-all. She about killed me, after almost killing herself, the first time she had to put the brakes on with some force. She said she almost wound up under the steering wheel. :blushing:

Exceptional images. Can you share how you handled the lighting?

great pictures and great bike too - I own a triumph as well - Sprint ST - I am inspired, have to find a clean garage now!

here is mine, though the photo was not taken by me

triumph

CDWPics44-vi.jpg

triumph

Most reactions

Back