Motorcycle/Train blur C&C please

dry3210

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took the first picture and liked the train blur but realized I didn't have the bike lit up well enough so I went back and tried the other side using my truck headlights to light up the bike. I mistimed it and the blur isn't as good and I don't think I like the angle of the bike or that side of the tracks as much

So what I'm asking is..for any suggestions on getting a better picture then these two or even just C&C on these...

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

I like the first one better, it doesn't have harsh shadows. Nice idea though, keep up the good work... :)

I like the first one much better as well. The lines on the foreground direct the eyes to the bike nicely. Even the electrical wires fit the composition. I'd try to get rid of the red circle with the hot spot on the far left and also lighten the foreground a bit. It's not going to win any international photo contests, but this photo still gets quite a few cool points.

The train is not "reading" as a train to me. I think maybe you ought to try second curtain flash synchronization, with a higher ISO setting and a shoter shutter speed, so that we can see the train better.

If the shutter speed is too slow ( is too long of a speed ), then the train reads like it's a blurred object,without details. If the shutter speed is fairly brief, like maybe 1/3 of a second and the train is moving through town at say 25 MPH, I think it would look more like a train, and the effect would be pretty cool.

I have not pulled the files and looked at their EXIF information for technical data, I am just looking at the pictures,so my judgement is based on what I am mentally guessing were the exposure times. I just think a more-recognizable train would look very cool,and the way to get it more recognizable would be to elevate the ISO, and thus shorter the exposure time a bit. You could also open the lens aperture a bit, and use a shorter focal length lens, which would make the background physically SMALLER, which would give less blur.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think I'll try a slower shutter speed like Derrel said and see about getting the train a little more ... looking like a train. I still feel I need some light on the bike...any suggestions on the best way of doing that as I have no flash set up beyond on camera.

I prefer the first shot. The bike is nicely centered and the overall composition is better.

I agree and like the first picture better.

I'd compose it differently with the bike's front facing the camera and the train and tracks going from small to large say from right to left. The more you see the tracks the more apparent it is of what your subject is in the blurr. All this means probobly getting closer to the tracks which is risky too.

Very cool idea though.

I'd compose it differently with the bike's front facing the camera and the train and tracks going from small to large say from right to left. The more you see the tracks the more apparent it is of what your subject is in the blurr. All this means probobly getting closer to the tracks which is risky too.

Very cool idea though.

This is genius. I think I can actually get a picture like this almost exactly how the bike is parked now but a slight change in angle and me standing off to the right. I'm gonna give this a go! I'll post up what I come up with. Thanks!

Very cool idea though.

I took a look and unfortunately the first spot I posted wouldn't work like this because the rails that come down would block the angle down the tracks. However I found another spot and I think this pic is greatly improved over the others but I'm still not 100% happy. The poll and what not in the pic limited how much I could get as far as angle and I still had them in the pic some but whatever.

MGalleryItem.php

Most reactions

New Topics

Back