Mount McKinley, Denali Park, Alaska

superasian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes, sorry, I'm one of those people who edits several, essentially, identical looking photos and just cannot make up their mind as to which one they should keep/upload :blushing: I'd love any feedback, and if you have a favorite from the batch, please let me know! As I said, I'm very indecisive, haha.

Anyway, I took these on a recent trip to Alaska. Denali was absolutely breath taking (I have a bunch more photos that I took there that I need to post here) and, lucky us -- 'lucky' as an understatement -- we were able to see the peak of Mt. McKinley throughout our whole tour. Our guide told us that she hadn't seen the peak of Mt. McKinley since May. I went in July. So yes, it was quite a treat!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I tweaked everything in Lightroom.. wasn't sure if Photoshop was needed.

mck.png

mck2.png

mck5.png

mck6.png

Yes, the shadows & bus aren't particularly attractive, but I kept it in there for the heck of it, haha.

mck7.png

Annnnd, lastly, a random shot of the Teklanika river. I did lighten the shadowed bit of the bank leading into the horizon, but it's not my favorite photo.

teklanika.png

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:
Very nice. I like you compositions and the subject matter is, of course, breathtaking.

I personally would have liked to see the sky a bit deeper blue, which could be done in LR easily enough. But really, one of your best tools when taking landscapes, is a polarizing filter. In the right circumstances, it can really deepen blue skies and make the clouds pop out. It can also be used to control reflection on things like water. So if you don't have a polarizing filter, I'd suggest getting one. It's one of the few filters that hasn't become obsolete in the digital era.

Thank you! I'll work on deepening the color of the sky right now. I'm looking into polarizing filters right now, they look highly useful -- is there a specific brand or filter you recommend?

Thank you! I'll work on deepening the color of the sky right now. I'm looking into polarizing filters right now, they look highly useful -- is there a specific brand or filter you recommend?
Look for the good companies like Hoya or B+W. Big Mike is too fast (I am risking here !) other filters did not become obsolete. There are a whole lines of filters for digi. Actually digital capture needs more filters then b&w photography. Just check websites of Lee Filters or Cokin; hundreds. In this particular situation you could use graduate neutral density filter, or graduate blue or some other cold shade. And that together with polarizing one.
Great pics. For me the first and last (IMHO best) work well. Not your fault, the culprit is the white band of clouds behind the peek of McKinley. No filter would remedy that. :D Maybe it would help if you can decrease exposure by 2/3 of a stop.

@timor : Thanks for commenting! I'll check out the companies you listed and also the other filtres you mentioned :) I edited the first photo a bit so I might come back and add it in!

Out of curiosity, what camera are you using ?

@Timor: T3i/600d :) The lens I used, if you also wanted to know, is this one here.

@marcoborghesi: Thanks a lot :) trying to spruce this one up a bit more in Ps

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great set, and #5 is my favourite. Majestic stuff, that mountain. Well captured!

Thanks for sharing... Nice shots, Love #5 and the road leading you toward McKinley. This just moved up on the list!

@Compaq & resj1 : Thanks a lot guys! #5 seems to be well-liked, and the more I look at it, the more I like it too haha I'll probably toggle around with it and see if I can make it look nicer :)

*sigh*
I lived in fairbanks for a time. Wish I was there now.
They're beautiful!!! All of them. I honestly think the first one stuck with me most of all.

*sigh*
I lived in fairbanks for a time. Wish I was there now.
They're beautiful!!! All of them. I honestly think the first one stuck with me most of all.

Ahh, so late, but thank you very much! You're so lucky to have lived there, that's where we stayed for the first few nights :) We met a lot of people who said they went up for a visit and just never left haha that'll probably be me one day when I go back for another trip when I'm older

Most reactions

New Topics

Back