Mountain Biking + OCF

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so I've been riding and racing mountain bikes for like 7 or 8 years, but I've only tried shooting it 3 times. Here are a few shots from the most recent one, shot at the Holiday Valley ski resort in Ellicotville, NY. I'm mainly looking for C&C on my use of off camera flash.

My goal with the flash was to try and maintain the dark feel of the woods, but give some light on the subject at the same time. I was kind of trying to get that dappled sunlight look that you can get as the light comes down from the trees. Not necessarily trying to cover up the use of flash, just trying to make it blend properly into the scene. How did I do?

1.) I think my key light was a little hot here, and could have used a cut of CTO.
untitled-5-X3.jpg

2.)
untitled-12-X3.jpg

3.)
untitled-15-X3.jpg

4.)
untitled-49-X3.jpg

I really like the last one. The warm color on him seems much more natural than the others. All in all i really like that one. The rest just scream flash, and since it seems to be a small light source, it really doesn't work for me. Although, the first one has potential, i just wish you used a CTO like you said. Still, well done for your third attempt.

I agree with D-B-J..well put! But I'm having difficult making a choice between 3 & 4.

You ever stood in the woods and seen the way ferns get edge lit by the sun? In my opinion, these could really use some light behind the rider ..rim light projected onto them (helmet of 3, upper arm/back of 4)

cheers,

I really like the last one. The warm color on him seems much more natural than the others. All in all i really like that one. The rest just scream flash, and since it seems to be a small light source, it really doesn't work for me. Although, the first one has potential, i just wish you used a CTO like you said. Still, well done for your third attempt.

Thanks. I definitely agree about the CTO. I caught in about an hour into the day. You can clearly tell that I have a CTO on it in the 4th shot, and it looks alot better. My cheap yongnuo flash triggers started giving me crap after an hour of shooting though, I think it's time for some PW's.

Nice shots, always hard to get shots of sports like this. I like #3 the most but the flash could be a bit softer.

I'm a mountain biker as well but for about 25 years now. Never tried shooting it how ever as I'm always on the bike.

Nice shots, always hard to get shots of sports like this. I like #3 the most but the flash could be a bit softer.

I'm a mountain biker as well but for about 25 years now. Never tried shooting it how ever as I'm always on the bike.

Nice man! I've actually been up to Canada for a few races, and to attend the international bicycle show in Toronto. I'm always amazed by how much more popular cycling is in Ontario than Western New York.

I would have been on the bike too, if I hadn't just sold it to buy camera gear. I had a Salsa Dos Niner, it was my baby :(

Most reactions

Back