Mountain Lakes

brianT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.briantolin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some lakes in British Columbia. Any comments or critiques are welcome.

1. Lindeman Lake
Lindeman_011.jpg

2. Chilliwack Lake
ChilliwackLake_004.jpg

3. Chilliwack Lake
ChilliwackLake_005.jpg

Thanks for looking. There's more photos of these lakes on my website, link in signature.

Hmm another place i need to visit!
Good images :thumbup:... are you using any kind of filters?

Hmm another place i need to visit!
Good images :thumbup:... are you using any kind of filters?
I use a circular polarizing filter to deal with glare on the water. I've also recently purchased a Cokin graduated neutral density square filter. It only holds back 1 stop of light so it's pretty minimal.

The polarizer was used on all 3 photos. Generally I use the polarizer on most outdoor scenes. The NDgrad was used on the last 2 photos (in combination with the polarizer). So there's a slight image quality loss with all the filtering, but the Cokin is a cheap filter which doesn't help. The image quality loss is hardly noticeable on web-sized jpegs. Pixel peeping the full size photos there's noticeable differences. But for what is gained in the filtering, the detriments are minimal.

I plan on getting a Singh-Ray NDgrad as I've heard they're among the best.

Yea i use Cookin ND grads, although the ND4 and ND8 are probably the ones i use the most in landscapes. You will loose some detail in stacking them with a Polarizer tho, the best thing is to stagger 2 ND's so that the transition is smoother but also gives you a much darker sky if needed. ;)
There are better grads out there than Cookin tho, thats true.

Your first shot is better than the last two. I do not like the combo of the two filters. It is a beautiful lake for a shoot though.

Do you have others of the same lake?

I really like #1 but I find myself wanting to see more water and less rocks.

Your first shot is better than the last two. I do not like the combo of the two filters. It is a beautiful lake for a shoot though.

Do you have others of the same lake?
Lindeman_006.jpg

Lindeman_008.jpg

That is what I was thinking. I love the colors in the water.

The first one in the second set looks great!

What f stop you shooting at. Seems like it must be around 5 or 6. The background are not really focused and very soft.... I would shoot at like f/16 or so and try to get more in focus.
Your Composition is very good and you have a good eye. They are lovely shots.
Keep on shooting!!

What f stop you shooting at. Seems like it must be around 5 or 6. The background are not really focused and very soft.... I would shoot at like f/16 or so and try to get more in focus.
Your Composition is very good and you have a good eye. They are lovely shots.
Keep on shooting!!
Thanks for comments. These are all between f/16 and f/20. And the camera mounted on tripod and I used a cable release. The perceived loss of sharpness is due to resolution downsize and jpeg compression. Usually after I resize an image for web posting I resharpen some areas, but not the entire image as I find too much sharpening doesn't look good.

The original images are pretty sharp for the lenses and camera used. And believe me, it's a constant struggle to make an image that looks great at full resolution into low resolution for web. Generally I find these wide-angle landscapes lose a lot of punch when down sized.

I also commonly do focus bracketing where 3 separate images are shot at different focus points (foreground, midground, background) for a completely sharp image if desired. On these images I didn't do any focus bracketing though.

Also, make sure you view the full resolution version of the images as some browsers downsize images automatically.

Excellent photos, thanks for sharing.

You would have loved the week long meet up we had, back in the summer of 2007. A whole week of shooting in the mountains of Alberta & BC.

I really like the first one!:thumbup:​

Most reactions

New Topics

Back