Mounting Photographs

martinez13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section, I'm new.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how I can float mount a tintype on the wall. I don't want any mats or frames, just the tintype itself, floating off the wall.

I know for digital prints, people dry-mount them to gatorboard or foamcore and then they have pieces of wood on behind that and hang them. I am hanging tintypes, so I don't want to mount them on any of that. I have the pieces of wood that i'm placing on the back of the tintype. I just need to know how I should hang them on the wall. Should i make two holes on the wood and place the nail head in there? Or do I need saw teeth? halp, haha.

Back in my college dormatory days, eons ago, they had a special 'clay' material that you could stick to the wall and hang (stick) something to it. At the end of the school year, it was easily removable and didn't leave a mark. I don't know if they still use that stuff, or if some variety of "super post-it note" sticky stuff is available today. Take a trip to your local hardware store and browse their aisles. It'll be there with the rolls of Scotch Tape, picture hooks, etc.

I am willing to bet 99.9% that 3M has something like what bratkinson has described, and/or a practical solution for what you are looking to do.

Back in my college dormatory days, eons ago, they had a special 'clay' material that you could stick to the wall and hang (stick) something to it. At the end of the school year, it was easily removable and didn't leave a mark. I don't know if they still use that stuff, or if some variety of "super post-it note" sticky stuff is available today. Take a trip to your local hardware store and browse their aisles. It'll be there with the rolls of Scotch Tape, picture hooks, etc.

Sticky tack is what you're talking about. My local hardware store has it.

Sent from my

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also trying to find out how to hang a large piece thats on gatorboard to the wall without damaging the piece

Most reactions

New Topics

Back