Mounting plate replacement for my Nikon 18-105vr

yioties

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My first mistake was to let my wife use my D5100 to take pics of our kids at the Science Center here in Toronto.
I have a small Nikon bag just big enough to hold my camera with the 18-105.
So while she was taking the camera out of the bag (which is snug) she broke one of the tabs and the lens won't stay on my camera body.

I have emailed Nikon and another camera service center to get prices on them fixing my lens.

I have found mounting plates on ebay from 5 to 10 bucks and looking online it doesn't look hard to change it myself.
Has anyone done this and should i attempt it or just bite the bullet and get it fixed by a technician?

Thanks Peter

My first mistake was to let my wife use my D5100 to take pics of our kids at the Science Center here in Toronto.
I have a small Nikon bag just big enough to hold my camera with the 18-105.
So while she was taking the camera out of the bag (which is snug) she broke one of the tabs and the lens won't stay on my camera body.

I have emailed Nikon and another camera service center to get prices on them fixing my lens.

I have found mounting plates on ebay from 5 to 10 bucks and looking online it doesn't look hard to change it myself.
Has anyone done this and should i attempt it or just bite the bullet and get it fixed by a technician?

Thanks Peter

Well, first off, I wouldn't be too hard on my wife. The Nikon 18-105mm uses a plastic base mount and it's notorious for breaking. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to buy another used one off Ebay that it is shipping it back to Nikon unless it's under warranty. I don't know your finical situation but I would pick up something a little more study to chase the kids around the house with, like maybe a used 18-200mm. You can pick up an older 18-200mm (red VR label) for around $350 or a newer unit (Gold VR label) for $450~. I picked on an older one for my travel/family and was pleasantly surprised by how well it did. The lens was well used, very well used and still worked great and produced some really decent photos.

Older
Nikon Nikkor AF s 2159 18 200 mm F 3 5 5 6 AF s VR DX If G Ed Lens | eBay

Newer
Nikon Nikkor 18 200mm 200 F 3 5 5 6 II 2 DX G SWM AF s VR If Ed Lens UV Filter | eBay

Another option would be a 3rd party mid range zoom like the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8.

Sigma 17 50mm F2 8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens for Nikon Japan Model New 0085126583552 | eBay

Nikon 18-140mm w/metal F-Mount for $278
Nikon 2213 AF s Nikkor 18 140mm F3 5 5 6 G Ed VR DX Lens 18 140 3 5 5 6 018208022137 | eBay

Now if money is tight, you could always pick up a new Nikon 18-105mm plastic mount off a amazon $9...better pick up a couple.
Amazon.com : NEEWER® Bayonet Mount Ring for Nikon 18-55 18-105 55-200mm Lens : Camera Lens Adapters : Camera & Photo

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks tailgunner. Nikon canada just emailed me that they are $8. So I'm going to order 2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back