"Move" metadata from one file to another in Lightroom?

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so LR4 doesn't yet support RAW's from the 5D3. In the interim, I'm converting them to DNG using Adobe's DNG converter and importing the DNG's into LR so I can edit them.

At some point in the (hopefully near term) future, Adobe will update LR4 to support the 5D3's RAW's. At that time, will there be any way for me to export the metadata from the DNG's that I've edited and import them to the RAW's? I'd basically just want to "move" my edits from the DNG's to their original RAW's, and obviously without having to re-edit them.

I suppose I could import the RAW's and then sync the metadata from each edited DNG onto it's original RAW, but that would be a 1 for 1 process. I'd prefer to export ALL the edited DNG metadata, match up the filenames to the correct RAW file, and import the metadata to the RAW's.

Anyone know if anything like that is possible?

Do you mean the meta data, or the LR edits? The Meta data (information embedded into the file by the camera) should be with both the DNG or the RAW regardless.

Also, why bother to re-import the same RAW files later...if you have already converted them to DNG and imported them? You wouldn't gain anything. Actually, converting them to DNG is supposed to be a better option. First and foremost, it's an open source platform, so it's less likely to become defunct than a proprietor format like CR2. And secondly, I've heard that DNG files are faster in LR than Raw files are.

I have recently changed my workflow for importing photos. What I do now, is rather than copy the Raw files (before or as I import them), I have LR convert to DNG and save those, during the import process.

Also, why bother to re-import the same RAW files later...if you have already converted them to DNG and imported them? You wouldn't gain anything. Actually, converting them to DNG is supposed to be a better option. First and foremost, it's an open source platform, so it's less likely to become defunct than a proprietor format like CR2. And secondly, I've heard that DNG files are faster in LR than Raw files are.

I understand that position, and I've been tempted to change my workflow to DNG, I just haven't made the switch yet.

Do you embed the original RAW's in the DNG or just delete them once the conversion is done? And don't you lose some functionality with DNG, for example the DNG can't display focus points in DPP? And I think there were other things that DNG doesn't support.

And to your first question, yes I actually meant the LR edits, my bad. I'd like to be able to edit the DNG's as an interim solution, and then once LR supports the 5D3 RAW's, import the RAW's, "move" the edits I made from the DNG's to the RAW's, and then delete the DNG's. So I'm back to a completely RAW LR catalog.

No, I don't plan on keeping the raw files once I have the DNG files imported and backed up. I guess there may be some things that won't work, but I can't remember the last time I wanted or needed to open a file in DPP to check the focus point.

I'm not sure if you would be able to port over your LR adjustments from DNG to Raw files. Maybe ask someone at Adobe, or check their forums etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back