Photos OK to edit
hi.

I will be happy if you will help me to decide

i want to move on to FF.

currently i have :

D7000 gripped

Nikon 85mm 1.4G

Nikon 17-55 2.8

i can afford myself to buy FF unless i will sell my d7000 and my 17-55.

then i will be only with FF body (d610 or d800) and one lens = nikon 85mm 1.4G.

what do you say ?

Why do you feel the need to switch?

only becuase the 85mm 1.4G

on the crop it is like 127.5mm and this is not very useful for me. (only portraits)

i like to shoot modelling photography in the sutdio and outdoors.

I think its impossible to answer that, it really is a personal decision.

You should ask yourself in what way my D7000 is not enough for me, if you feel the D7000 is limiting you then by all mean go for it.
A second reason to move from the D7000 to an FX body is because you simply want to and if this is the case then don't ask too many questions and go for it, get the camera and be on your marry way.
I bought many times stuff I didn't need but really wanted, sometime I was sorry and sometime not.

on the crop it is like 127.5mm and this is not very useful for me. (only portraits)

Why not use your 17-55? The works out to be roughly 85mm on a crop.

I was toying with the idea of moving to FF from my D7100, but have decided to stay with the D7100 as the only advantage of FF for me would be the lower noise at high iso and the light sensitivity all round.
Not worth it for me.

becuase i will get more DOF with the 85mm on FF.

becuase i will get more DOF with the 85mm on FF.

Low apreture isn't the only way to get a shallow DOF.

you are right.

but you cant compare the 55mm on crop (17-55) to the 85mm on FF.

you will get differents DOF.

i really dont know what to do.. i need to think about it.

You are in the same situation I am (or was) In.

about an hour ago or so I ordered a FF, in addition to my d7000.

Reasons for/against:
1 - in my basement, when I use my 85mm which I love the perspective, etc on, I need to take a few more steps back and there's a wall there.
2 - when I use the 85 to take photos I'm so far back I can't talk to my kids for posing, I feel like I need an intercom. So I use another lens like my 24-85 which I'm more in the 50mm area on it.
3 - I could use my 80-200 zoom too which apperently gives better DOF, which I should test but I haven't
4 - I like taking pics of landscape too but find that a nice nikon 14mm lens costs as much as a FF camera d600 refurb.
5 - There's always a nice return policy, so if there virtually is no difference then I'm going to return it.

So I figured. buy an expensive lens OR a FF camera an use and existing 17mm
there's always a return policy in case I'm disappointed.

so .. WTH .. it's Christmas time for me anyways.

Well if that's the case and your current camera is suiting you fine with all your other needs, have you considered just buying a slightly wider angle lens? Perhaps a 50 mm or even a 35 mm?

I was toying with the idea of moving to FF from my D7100, but have decided to stay with the D7100 as the only advantage of FF for me would be the lower noise at high iso and the light sensitivity all round.
Not worth it for me.

Same boat here - the low light performance would be nice but not really worth the extra investment for me personally.

yes.

but i paid too much money for the 85mm 1.4G and i want to exploit the maximum from this lens on FF.
its good enough on d7000 but i need to go back a lot from my subject when i want to shoot wide open.
this lens is perfect for portraits on d7000 but not for wide open.

i rally think this lens is awesome.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, which body are you looking at getting?

D800 or D610..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back