Move up to MF and LF - Step 1

I

Iron Flatline

Ok, some of you are following me on this little journey as I'm exploring different ways of moving toward shooting Large Format or Medium Format.

There's a number of steps I need to (or want to) go through. One of them is getting familiar with bellows as part of the process. Obviously there are plenty of cameras that make do without them, but it seems to something I'm particularly drawn to.

As such, I discovered the Cambo X-2 Pro at Calumet today. It's a bellow system that works with a number of cameras and lenses, but most interestingly, it is also available for dSLRs...

So my plan is to rent the X-2 along with a Canon D1s Mk III, and a regular and wide lens. The new 1D has LiveView, which will work as my faux ground glass. This way, I will get to work on some Scheinpflug techniques, while also test-driving the 1D.

30MOCA-X2_pv.jpg

Link to Site (under Photo Products, look for X-2 Pro for dSLR)

Check it out. Anyone here ever work with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are those lenses mount-able in a 4x5 shutter? They don't look like it.

It takes a number of different LF lenses... but the Canon 1Ds has a shutter, so the lenses don't have one.

It takes a number of different LF lenses... but the Canon 1Ds has a shutter, so the lenses don't have one.

Right, but if you decide to go 4x5, unless you're shooting with a speed graphic or one of those nutty monorails (Toyo?) with a focal plane shutter, then it seems like sort of a waste of money. I also don't see the advantage to buying into this system over purchasing some auto bellows or a t/s lens for your dSLR. Just doesn't seem quite as easily modular as they advertise.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a lens that covered 4x5 that I couldn't mount on a normal lens-board. Something has always been off-putting to me about LF "systems," whether it be lack of brand or format interconversion, or the uncertainty that it will match up perfectly with whatever the new "system" is. I think it was Sinar, first showed up on the market years ago with their modular 35mm/MF/LF system that boasted some ridiculously astonishing prices and a lack of flexibility for use with other systems.

Granted, that's all up for debate. But I'd rather custom-build a modular system with a normal 4x5 body and lenses, a digital back I could mount either to the 4x5 or a MF body, and perhaps an adapter plate that lets you shoot with a dSLR using a smaller image circle on the 4x5.

Just my two cents.

These are all points that are well taken. To be clear, I only want to rent this rig for a weekend to work with a bellows system, I don't want to own this. I have learned enough in my reading to understand what you're saying, and would tentatively agree... unless I find some unbelievable system. For now, this is just a chance to play with poofy leather.

Well it sounds like fun. Be sure to let us know how it works out.

I'm excited for you Iron! I've been following your posts. The thought of larger format films has appealed to me, but I would have no idea where to start, so hopefully you research and experience will make it easier for guys like me to follow.

THAT has become my mission... I will lead us all back to giant pieces of film, heads below cloth, light meters between our teeth... why take a perfect picture with a $150 compact when you can spend hours getting it wrong with gear worth thousands? Now THAT'S a hobby!

:hail::hail::hail:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lol:

Or you could do what I did and buy an old Zeiss Ikon Nettar (he said while waiting for the post).

No tilts or shifts but hey!

How about a Fuji GX680? 6x8 (MF) frame, movements on the front standard, compatibility with the latest digi backs (Leaf, at least...haven't checked Phase One). Really nice glass, albeit a little slow. I've seen plenty of full GX680III kits go for less than $1500.

http://www.dannyburk.com/fuji_gx680iii.htm

Have a look.

How about a Fuji GX680? 6x8 (MF) frame, movements on the front standard, compatibility with the latest digi backs (Leaf, at least...haven't checked Phase One). Really nice glass, albeit a little slow. I've seen plenty of full GX680III kits go for less than $1500.

http://www.dannyburk.com/fuji_gx680iii.htm

Have a look.
Holy crap, now THAT is a Manly camera... None of that sissy Rangefinder stuff... LOL.

Seriously though, I will keep this in mind. The fact that it can take those Leaf backs is pretty compelling.

What is 6x8? A cropped 6x9 I assume...

Are those lenses mount-able in a 4x5 shutter? They don't look like it.

It depends on the lens choice, there is a series of APO Schnieders and Rodenstocks that are compatible with the system, along with some Mamiya pro lenses. The longer Schnieders only have enough coverage closed down to be used on 4x5 and they do offer an electronic shutter, but they could be mounted in a copal 0 or 1 which is more practicle for LF use outside the studio. Obviously, the shutter isn't needed with the use of a DSLR. So check the image cirlce as well, you need about 150mm to cover 4x5 with no movements and around 230mm to allow for movements, if you want to use it for anything but the dslr system.

OH, not to confuse your process, I would take a look at Canham, the wood 4x5 has 28 inches of belows draw, making it useful in the studio and he makes a spiffy motorized 6x17 film back!

http://www.canhamcameras.com/

Canham will be my choice when I replace my 12x20 in the next couple of years.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

JC

That Cambo x2 bellows looks interesting, but I can imagine the dust would be a big problem shooting on location. Very dusty here in Andalucia during summer. Highly static charged sensors seem to attract loads of dust even when you don't change the lens. Nice way to learn about the different movements mind.

Most reactions

Back