Movie Review: The Hunger Games

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So much about this movie that I had to see it. I am basing this on the movie only, as I have never read the book.

*yawn*

Main character was bland and had no personality. I think maybe twice she showed an actual emotion. The movie itself took about an hour to "set up", and then it finally started getting interesting - and by interesting I mean something actually started happening. Unfortunately, what happened was cliche, predictable and convenient.

I wouldn't see it again, but it wasn't the worst movie ever made. I have a feeling that it didn't do the book justice, but I say that only because the movie was so standard and the book has such a large following. In any case - meh.

Dmitri said:
So much about this movie that I had to see it. I am basing this on the movie only, as I have never read the book.

*yawn*

Main character was bland and had no personality. I think maybe twice she showed an actual emotion. The movie itself took about an hour to "set up", and then it finally started getting interesting - and by interesting I mean something actually started happening. Unfortunately, what happened was cliche, predictable and convenient.

I wouldn't see it again, but it wasn't the worst movie ever made. I have a feeling that it didn't do the book justice, but I say that only because the movie was so standard and the book has such a large following. In any case - meh.

I have to agree. I just got home from seeing it. The books were much better IMO.

I will probably wait and see it at home... have heard the "meh" comment too many times!:)

Damn that sucks... I've read the books and I'm going to see the movie tomorrow. I guess ill just have to lower my expectations and hopefully like it

Well guys what do you expect. When has there ever been a movie that did the book justice? And I am Can-of-wormsing "the lord of the rings" I know people that will argue that one all day

Totenkopf, it isn't that it didn't do the book justice - I didn't read the book. I'm basing it entirely on the movie which is mediocre at best. It is a standard action flick with a loooong, boring set up. The LOTR movies were amazing, whether they did the books justice or not.

I agree that a movie will never live up to the book it's based on, but the movie should be good in its own right. I don't feel that this one was.

The people I know said that to make the movie like the book would had to have gone for an R rating, which would keep 90% of the audience at home because they are 13-16.

I've heard the Japanese original was much better, so I may give that a shot.

I watched Battle Royale last night (the movie Hunger Games is supposedly based on). Except for children fighting to the death, the two movies have very little in common. Battle Royale doesn't waste an hour with set-up though, it pretty much dives right into it. This one is definitely more violent than HG - but the characters seem less one-dimensional. If you liked Hunger Games, give this one a shot.

I'm not much a moviegoer, and I tend to completely avoid movies based on books I've read, with a few exceptions (LOTR being one of them).

That said, I'm still trying to decide if I even want to read the books. All the hype just turns me off.

I had a hunch it would be hype over substance. I think it made something like 150 million in the first weekend what's all the excitement about. It must be because the books are good. Just what we need another shallow teeny franchise.

Most reactions

Back